July '05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date:09 Jul 05
Dive Location: Long Point (Old Marineland) Palos Verde
Dive Partner: Jim McCabe
Time: 08:33
Bottom Time: 40 or so
Max Depth:50
Vis: 4-5 feet
Wave height: 2-4
Temp at depth:
Surface Temp:
Tide information:
Gas mix: Air (21%)
Comments: Jim will post more details. But for my part, the highlight of the dive was the opportunity to dive with Jim McCabe and to spend a little time with him and his lovely wife. The dive, well, we got wet and I have been on worse dives. Visibilitywas poor, strong offshore current and a real workout in search of visibility which we never found.

Date: July 9, 2005
Dive Location: Marineland
Time: 9:04 am
Bottom Time: 32:40
Max Depth: 53 ft
Vis: 3-5 ft.
Wave height: 1-3 ft.
Temp at depth: 54 degrees Suunto
Surface Temp: 63 air, 59 water
Tide information: 0 ft., going high
Comments: Met up with Pasley at the Marineland gate a little after 8am. There were some movie set construction guys also waiting, and they asked us if we were in the “Pirates of the Caribbean” production. I didn’t think I was, so we told them how we were going diving. A few more divers also showed up and, suddenly to our amazement, the front gate opened. I think it was magic or sumpin’ :D . We all drove over to the parking lot, and got talking about the platform. They asked who discovered it, and I said “We did”. They were slightly in awe, so I told them the story of Headhunter Reef. After I declined to sign autographs :D, we went down to check conditions. From the bluff the water looked okay (no obvious red tide that I could see) and the surf looked maybe 1-3 ft. We geared up, and decided to try entering at Long Point. When we got there and climbed down to water level, we saw the tide was pretty low and the sets were pretty powerful, and couldn’t find a do-able entry. So we decided to hike back up the cliff and walk back to the cove and enter there. The entry went well, and we decided we’d drop down close to shore and head 210 degrees (almost paralleling shore, but heading more south, towards Long Point) and flip around and come back on a 30 degree heading. We dropped down to about 14 ft of very sandy water, with viz maybe 3 feet at best. We immediately noticed an offshore (southbound) current taking us in our intended direction. We hugged the sandy bottom and, since I had my afterburners on, we rode the current pretty quickly thru the murky water. After 15 minutes we had hit 50 ft. depth (and probably travelled about 900-1000 ft), with no reef in sight. And the viz was no better at 53ft. than at 15 ft. Go figure. Anyway, I figured we’d be huffing and puffing against the current on the way back, so I decided to make a U turn and head a little “norther” than our intended 30 degree return heading to see if we would hit the reef. After about 12 minutes of fighting the current over a sand bottom, we finally hit the reef. Viz did clear up a bit on the way back (again, go figure), but not by much. We checked out the reef a bit (around 15ft depth), and were hand over hand grabbing the reef to fight the surge, and finally decided to surface. We came up not too far from our drop down point, and timed the exit pretty well in between some 2-3ft. waves, and made a nice exit with only a little stumbling. All in all it was a good dive for navigation and rocky entry/exit skills, and also to see a lot of sea pens. Not much else though. Unfortunately we had to break the bad news to a bunch of other divers who were heading down on our way up. The divers who entered when we did had gone out to the platform, and their report was that the viz out there was no better than what we had. So I decided I’d had enough for the day, and Myrna and I drove over to the nearby Golden Cove shopping center for an early Subway sandwich on their outdoor patio overlooking the ocean. Then we stopped at the Pt. Vicente lighthouse for the first time and climbed to the top. Surprisingly, the water looked very nice and clear and blue. And this was only about ¾ mile west of Marineland. By the way, that area looks like some wonderful diving, but it’s probably only accessible by boat. Beautiful day, invigorating dive, world class dive buddy.

7/7/05
Escondido Beach Malibu
waves 1' - 2'
surge low
temp 57 degrees
gas: air
time: 66m
vis: 5'
max depth 33'

Almost zero vis out to about 25' then a constant 5' to 33'. schooling surf perch, barred sand bass and mucho nudi's. Not much else seen on the dive.

rotting seal carcass on the beach right at Escondido Creek. I did not see him on the way in as I crossed the creek by the stairs. yummy.

Jerry

mccabejc:
The entry went well, and we decided we’d drop down close to shore and head 210 degrees (almost paralleling shore, but heading more south, towards Long Point)
That will take you more toward Santa Barbara Island. I think I know why you found nothing but sand. :D
Old_Marineland_Divers_Map_Rev12.jpg

We were starting right offshore, maybe 20-30 yards, and I figured the reef at Long Point extended further south than it does, so we decided to go more southerer. Maybe 240 would have been better than 210. I think 270 would have got us into the shallow rocks and breaking surf right away.

What I usually do if I head that way underwater is drop down just outside the nearshore reef and follow the edge toward the point. The reef parallels the shoreline until you get to Buchanan's Reef, which is a LONG swim from the cove. Sometimes I will take a shortcut across the sand when returning to the cove. It's really easy now. Head east, stay above 35 feet and you will come across the line to Headhunter Reef. Turn left at the line and when you reach the end, take a two o'clock heading right to the exit. For a detailed view of the reef and shoreline, check out the larger image.
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/647/Old_Marineland_Divers_Map_Rev12.jpg

Haha, Jim and Mel warned us about the bad conditions on our way down (they were on their way up) and of course, we went in anyway. We went east out of the cove and had bad vis of 1-3 ft and 3-4 ft of surge. But damn it, I wanted to dive!

pasley:
Date:09 Jul 05
Dive Location: Long Point (Old Marineland) Palos Verde
Dive Partner: Jim McCabe
Time: 08:33
Bottom Time: 40 or so
Max Depth:50
Vis: 4-5 feet
Wave height: 2-4
Temp at depth:
Surface Temp:
Tide information:
Gas mix: Air (21%)
Comments: Jim will post more details. But for my part, the highlight of the dive was the opportunity to dive with Jim McCabe and to spend a little time with him and his lovely wife. The dive, well, we got wet and I have been on worse dives. Visibilitywas poor, strong offshore current and a real workout in search of visibility which we never found.

Max,
By the way, we saw your killer sea lion. He was sitting there about 30 yds offshore as we were entering, his head sticking out of the water, his cold steely eyes staring at us.

"You want some of this? Huh?"

mccabejc:
Max,
By the way, we saw your killer sea lion. He was sitting there about 30 yds offshore as we were entering, his head sticking out of the water, his cold steely eyes staring at us.

"You want some of this? Huh?"
Old_Enemies_1_.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom