July '05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime:
See what you missed Terry? You could have had this much fun as well. :D
Since the vis was half way decent after all this red tide and I got a nice long dive out of it, I say it was worth the "effort"! :wink:

Christian

MaxBottomtime:
Date:July 16th
Dive Location:Marineland
July16_025.jpg
Thanks for the cool, photo! I'm pretty sure this is a Facelina stearnsi...very pretty pair you found on the grid. That was a very fun dive!!

HBDiveGirl:
Thanks for the cool, photo! I'm pretty sure this is a Facelina stearnsi...very pretty pair you found on the grid. That was a very fun dive!!
Yes it is.
http://www.seaslugforum.net/display.cfm?id=7628
It's too bad there was only black soot in that container underneath them. I've found some before that still had sliced mackeral in them. Great way to make lots of new finned friends. :D

MaxBottomtime:
See what you missed Terry? You could have had this much fun as well. :D

Ummmm. yeah.....sorry(?) I missed it :eyebrow:

Date: 7/16
Dive Location: L.J. Shores/Vallecitos
Time: 6:32pm
Bottom Time: 52min
Max Depth: 81 ft
Vis: 12-15 ft shallows, 40- 45 at depth
Wave height: waves? must've been invisible because I didnt see em!
Temp at depth: 55F
Surface Temp:70F
Gas mix: Air (21%)

Comments: Original dive plans got scratched, so Dan, Doug & I headed to La Jolla Shores instead and... I gotta say- the surf report and expected conditions were 100% inaccurate! The water was blue, there were no waves/surface chop/surge/current, and the vis was excellent! From the surface, you could see down to 15 ft easily. This was my 3rd dive in the drysuit, so I was having minor buoyancy issues in the shallows- my oh-so-thoughtful buddies were hunting down large rocks for me to hold for added weight..heh... After hitting 35 ft, my struggles disappeared and I was feeling comfortable with my buoyancy and ditched the rocks... Thats when the fun started (not buoyancy fun-- critter fun!) :wink: There were guitarfish all over the place, fried egg jellies everywhere you looked, the largest moon snail I've ever seen (we're talking cantelope size), etc.. On the wall, around 60-80 ft, there were octos, navanax, the usual fish, crabs, etc.. Saw 2 little nudibranchs, white with black dots, and eggs within inches of them. Found a stone bowl (didn't touch it), some kind of large pipe about 20 ft long (and full of life!).... Didn't need any rocks (weight) coming in, which made me realize that my 'floatiness' in the beginning was due to my initial anxiety at the start of the dive. Easily corrected now that I'm aware of what's going on. Saw a brown jelly during the swim in- we just stopped & stared at it for a minute... Didn't know jellies came in other colors... hmm.... Awesome dive!!

Dive 2, same location. 8:56pm, 56 min, 74 ft max depth.
We enjoyed the conditions so much on dive 1, that we were anxious to do a 2nd dive- this time a night dive. Once again, no waves/surf/surge/current- a little eerie to see La Jolla so calm...but hey, who's complaining :eyebrow: Again, guitarfish everywhere- I was able to get side by side with one, just out of curiousity to see how large it really was... and it was definitely longer than me! Saw a lazy, fat halibut (3+ ft) lounging around... looked at us with a "whaddya want- I'm taking a nap here" look, so we bid it farewell. Down in the canyon, there were baby octos everywhere on the sand.. One of them was no larger than a golf ball- a little red guy (never seen one so small before).. The others didn't seem bothered by us even though they were fully exposed on the sand ... obviously hunting for dinner. Critters everywhere, and lots of bioluminescense in the shallows. Our dive ended with a bang- literally! Right next to our exit point, there was a moonlight wedding, lit by nothing but tiki torches... and they were shooting off fireworks over the water... What a way to end another great dive!! (and the best part... no buoyancy issues at all- I was as comfortable in the dry beast as I am in a wetsuit) :)

Date: 1/16/05
Dive Location: Marineland
Time:
Bottom Time:74 Min.
Max Depth: 46 ft.
Vis: 10 - 15 ft.
Wave height:
Temp at depth: 59°
Surface Temp: 63°
Tide information:
Gas mix: Nitrox (35%)
Comments:
Christian pretty much covered the explanation of the dive beautifully, so I won't cover that again. My exit was similar to his except that I was about 30 ft. away near the rock point by the cave. There was no surf until I got my fins off and was in knee deep water. The first wave knocked me down, but I was able to get back onto my feet quickly. I was back up just in time to see all of the water getting sucked out forming a large face. I did my best to get out and lean into the curl to try to get under the wave, but unfortunately I got tossed again onto the rocks. I believe this is when my ankle got sprained. After that wave I ended up at the base of the rock at the point by the cave. I braced myself for the next wave which hit me and washed me around the point where I was able to crawl up the rocky beach below the cave. At this point I was separated from my dive buddies and was faced with climbing over an 8ft. rock face with a sprained ankle and 75lbs. of gear. I yelled to let my dive buddies know that I was OK and started my way over the giant rock. Once on top, I meet up with shark.byte.usa who offered to take my weight pouches to lighten my load (thanks again for the much needed help).
Total damage for the day, one bloody and bruised elbow, a small hole in my wetsuit, a moderately sprained ankle, and a hole into the bladder of my almost new Zeagle Ranger Ltd. B.C.
Claudette, thanks for the ice and first aid.

Steve

stoddu:
My exit was similar to his except that I was about 30 ft. away near the rock point by the cave. Steve
Steve,
Glad to hear you survived. But I will point out it could have been worse, exiting near the cave is very dangerous due to the old pier pilings in the water that Jim McCabe discovered. It sounds like you were over by them. See photos below for more information.

pasley:
Steve,
Glad to hear you survived. But I will point out it could have been worse, exiting near the cave is very dangerous due to the old pier pilings in the water that Jim McCabe discovered.

Maybe everyone should've joined me in La Jolla instead of battling it out with the boulders at Marineland :eyebrow:

Dive Time: 10:55am
Max Depth: 64 feet
Bottom Time: 57:00 mins
Air Temp: 64 degrees
Water Temp Max Depth: 55 degrees
End of Dive Water Temp: 61 degrees
Visibility 5 - 15 feet

Simon, Max, Kenny and I headed up to Marineland to dive the point. We entered at the cove and kicked over to the point and dropped down to 38 feet. We headed South looking for deeper water. The water was full of snow on top but opened up in spots to 15 feet at depth. We explored the reefy areas, looking for nudis and fish. We saw over 6 different types of nudis, a Lingcod, a few rockfish, Painted Greenlings, some lightbulb tunicates, a school of Blacksmith, some senorita fish and more. The site was covered in life and was full of fascinating critters. We got seperated a few times and decided to thumb the dive after the 2nd seperation. Simon and Max headed out the point rocks and I headed in to the cove and had an uneventful exit!

pics: http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/longpoint06162005

longpoint071620050011.sized.jpg

longpoint071620050019.sized.jpg

longpoint071620050039.sized.jpg

longpoint071620050041.sized.jpg

longpoint071620050050.sized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom