Jon Lines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot

Contributor
Reaction score
After deco'ing last week, I stowed(or thought I stowed) my jon line back in my drysuit thigh pocket. I guess I didn't get the zipper closed all the way and it "jumped out". I lost the jon line and the backup slate I use to write down my deco plans that was clipped to it. I feel lost without it, since 4 divers hanging at the same depth sucks.

Anyway, I had a jon line with the gavin hook, but never really liked it all that much. I'm thinking of getting one with a carabiner instead.

Any thoughts on the carabiner vs. the gavin hook for your jon line?

I know it is not what you were asking but . . .

Skip the Jon Line. Shoot a bag and drift if the current is that strong or pull the hook and drift with it. Getting beaten up in bad conditions is more strenuous and will predispose you to DCS. Even if you use the line, that means you are working hard as you ascend on the line until you deploy the Jon Line.

If there is no current, you don't need it. Just control your depth properly as you ascend.

I don't use a jon line either, but I do use my reel to hold me off a deco line if it gets crowded. 1 less thing to lose

ScubaDadMiami :
Skip the Jon Line. Shoot a bag and drift if the current is that strong or pull the hook and drift with it.

Not always possible. Often there are othere divers still down or planning to go down on the same wreck. You could end up miles from the boat.

I use a buddy line. A simple loop in each end. Works like a charm.

We do what makes sense for each dive. If the current is ripping, we drift into the wreck and drift deco on bags. In little or no current, we use a shot line or anchor line. With the possibility of several dive teams, this can cause a traffic jam at the longer stops. It's nice to get out away from the line.

mempilot:
After deco'ing last week, I stowed(or thought I stowed) my jon line back in my drysuit thigh pocket. I guess I didn't get the zipper closed all the way and it "jumped out". I lost the jon line and the backup slate I use to write down my deco plans that was clipped to it. I feel lost without it, since 4 divers hanging at the same depth sucks.

Anyway, I had a jon line with the gavin hook, but never really liked it all that much. I'm thinking of getting one with a carabiner instead.

Any thoughts on the carabiner vs. the gavin hook for your jon line?

---------
first -- it's a Garvin Hook -- not a Gavin (Gavin makes the scooters).

Use 8 feet of climbers nylon with a loop on each end the loop has to be big enough to get your hand through (but not too big) the overall length is small enough to stuff in pocket -- large enough to work with heavy gloves and comes in lots of colors!

I carry two of them. IF the line is really crowded i just extend the line with the 2nd one.

Cheers ........

Back
Top Bottom