Jon lines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My sissy line is an essential piece of my dive equipment. I can use it like a "jon" line, or to tie a lift bag onto a treasure, or to string a fish, or to keep a buddy close in poor viz, or to hook into a reef, or mark a spot, or to give a stressed diver something to hang onto while being towed, or to clip equipment off to a down line, or to solve a problem I haven't even run into yet.
Mine is only about 4.5 feet long, with a bolt snap on one end and a suicide snap on the other. It's made of braided poly with the loops fashioned by slipping the end of the line back into the center of the line, so like one of those Chinese finger grabber toys the loops are secure when tugged on, but can be released in half a heartbeat with a simple tug at the right spot in the right direction. There's one in the pocket of every one of my BC's and three or four extras in my save-a-dive kit. If I were the "dive king" every diver would carry a sissy line on every dive. (I'm not the dive king and y'all do whatever you want).
I've been using a sissy line for over 30 years diving, and have never, ever, seen, experienced or heard of anyone having any safety issue (other than using one to save their bacon) with one.
Rick

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
My sissy line is an essential piece of my dive equipment.

SNIPPED

Mine is only about 4.5 feet long, with a bolt snap on one end and a suicide snap on the other.

Great post Rick... dive King in waiting... just wish you'd loose the suicide clip! They're aptly named you know!!! :wink:

Doppler

Doppler once bubbled...
just wish you'd loose the suicide clip! They're aptly named you know!!! :wink:
Yes, they are, and one should give much thought to when and where one is appropriate - and whether something else might do just as well. In this particular case, when the clip only comes out of a pocket to be used for a specific purpose, and the rig allows the instant easy ditch of the clip if required, and I want to be able to grab something with the motion and the ease that only a suicice clip provides, I decided to use one.
Rick :)

sure is getting a lot of air time. Bet he wishes he could get a nickle for time this subject comes up. I used to use one many years ago but a lift bag and a spool do nicely for drifting deco and If i must be tied to an anchor in howling current the spool does just fine. My J-lines are now relegated to walking the dog (and that is not a yo-yo term)

je

While we are on the Subject. Can someone explain how to use the reel. Heard about it, never tried it.

Thanks
Eric

ericfine50 once bubbled...
While we are on the Subject. Can someone explain how to use the reel. Heard about it, never tried it.

Thanks
Eric

Basically you use a reel when you want to be able to get back to a certain point. This can be very useful in wrecks, caves, bad visibility, or just making sure you get back to the boat.

Basically, you tie the end of the line onto a rock. You then make another tie a few feet away. Then you "lay line". You reel out, and every once in a while you loop the line around a rock (or whatever) to keep it neat. Once you decide to turn around, you reel back in, undoing the wraps as you encounter them.

There is a bit more to it than that, but that's the basic idea. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

It's good to have someone show you how to use one, because having a lot of loose line underwater can be quite dangerous.

Also, some reels are better than others. Some reels tend to foul the line or come apart...not good.

You can also lay line with a reel and then leave it in place for future dives.

Ummm....

I think he meant how do you use a reel/spool as a jon line.

If not, I do.

metridium once bubbled...
Ummm....

I think he meant how do you use a reel/spool as a jon line.

If not, I do.
That's what he meant...how to use one as a jonline. He's full cave, so I would imagine he has a vague idea of how to use a reel/spool...

O-ring wrote...

He's full cave, so I would imagine he has a vague idea of how to use a reel/spool...
Thought so...

:D

metridium once bubbled...
Thought so...

:D

It seems we lost the original thrust of the conversation - are jonlines good or bad, useful or non-useful, dangerous or safe, etc.

I think a few good points in favor of jonlines have been made, but I haven't seen a whole lot of negative points about jonlines yet. I think that in certain places, such as Florida, you could argue that jonlines are an unnecessary complication because they are totally not needed. I think that argument has a lot of merit, in the Hogarthian sense, since the boats tend to not shackle the wrecks and allow the divers to drift deco. In the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast (I can't speak for the PNW and other areas), the boats tie into the wrecks, may or may not have a chase boat, and tend to venture into areas with low vis, potentially fast currents, and cold water (I don't mean 60-70 Florida cold, I mean NE 30-50 cold). In this scenario, I am having trouble seeing the harm in a jonline unless it is being used as a crutch for bad buoyancy/fundamental dive skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom