Jon lines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Braunbehrens

Reaction score
The question of Jon lines has come up in another thread, so I thought I'd move it here where it is more appropriate.

Some people seem to think that Jon lines are great. Others feel they are dangerous.

I'm hoping that we can have a meaningful discussion here ...

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
The question of Jon lines has come up in another thread, so I thought I'd move it here where it is more appropriate.

Some people seem to think that Jon lines are great. Others feel they are dangerous.

I'm hoping that we can have a meaningful discussion here ...

Don't recall anyone saying: "Jon lines are great."

The last post on the topic said this: " Jon lines are a useful tool and worth learning how to use, and in adverse conditions -- such as variable currents and high seas -- are an effective way to manage the rigors of staged decompression diving. Certainly worth learning how to use and certainly worth carrying in your wreck diving tool kit."

Of course it was also said that Jon Lines are not a panacea, but then, what is?

Doppler

Paul.

I like using a Jon line, I know a few people that use there spool as a "jon line". What ever works for you and you are comfortable using, use. Dog leash, Jon Line, spool what ever. I think the important part if being able to keep your stops (bouyancy control). Something I am always working on,
Eric

IIRC, I read a Tech 1 report that mentioned Andrew teaching how to use a spool as a jon line.

They were also used when GUE dove the Brittanic, so they obviously have their place in certain applications.

I've always heard the term "Jon" line used to mean a short line, what I grew up calling a "sissy" line, that can be used for all sorts of things - lift line, buddy line, fish stringer, stand-off (from the anchor line) line, reef hook line, etc.
Is that the "Jon" line y'all are talkin' about? Some of the posts seem to be talking about something else, like a down line or a Jersey line...
What, precisely, is the Jon line in question?
E. itajara

Yes. allows you to stand off teh anchor line and deco. Helps with the surge, large group dives, etc...

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom