joint pain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mlove

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I injured my elbow a few years ago, and it has become painfull lately. I have been working out with weights and diving, 90 ft or less within deco limits. Could the painful elbow be a symtom of DCS? I am thinking of giving up weights. I can not give up diving.

Regards,
M

I've been wondering about that kind of thing myself.... how do you differentiate between a ache or pain that was say injury related, and one that is DCS related? With DCS would your pains be symetrical? say both elbows or knees or ankles? could it affect just one joint? would you act on the symptom if it was "solo"? We all know what the symptoms are, but how bad does it have to get? will you just -know-? I guess if in doubt, call DAN, but I am curios to hear thoughts on this...

Thanks as always!
-kate

ps
I won't give up the weights -or- the diving :)

Dear mlove:

DCS pains are not symmetrical. Neurological problems can be however.

If the pains are there before and after diving, and not worse, it is doubtful that it is “the bends.” Generally, it has been difficult to link old injuries to new DCS events as far a joint pain is concerned.

Dr Deco

Dr. Deco,

Could you explain what you mean by Neurological problems
being symmetrical.

Thanks.
M

Dear mlove:

When the nerves of the spinal cord are injured, problems often will arise that are symmetrical. For example, both legs will be numb or unable to move. This could also be the case with arms.

When the brain is injured, the problems are “symmetrical” but in a different fashion. In this case, both the right (for example)arm and the right leg will be affected.

In simple joint pain problems usually only one knee or one elbow is affected.

Dr. Deco

Dr Deco,

Good explaination.
Thanks,
Mike

Originally posted by scubakat
I've been wondering about that kind of thing myself.... how do you differentiate between a ache or pain that was say injury related, and one that is DCS related?

I have wondered about this as well. I have tendonitis in both shoulders that comes and goes. For those of you unfortunate enough to have this problem, you know it can be very painful. It wouldn't surprise me if my shoulder's ached after a dive just from swimming and carrying the tank. They sometimes ache after my morning swim workout. So how would I know if shoulder pain after a dive is something I should take more seriously?

Thanks
Kimmie

PS. I'd just like to say that I am truly grateful to the Docs on this board that take the time to answer our questions so thoroughly. Thank you ladies and gents. And thanks to the rest of you who offer encouragement, advice, and anecdotes.

Dear Kimmie:

To be quite honest, it is difficult to differentiate joint pain DCS from a previous joint injury that comes and goes at random. In a research situation, this is sometimes encountered and the test subjects are simple given a “test of pressure.” In the case of altitude DCS (such as at NASA), we simply ask the subjects to note if the pain remits upon repressurization to sea level.

In the case of recreational divers, a chamber repressurization is not an easy option. One is thus reduced to noting if the pains are any different than at other times, or did one do something that could provoke DCS (e.g., lift scuba tanks shortly after a dive), or perform many dives that could favor large tissue gas loads. If these are possible, then DCS is possible, and one needs to see if anything else develops. Naturally, if one were to have pains in the shoulders and then, e.g., problems with urination, this would be an indication that something is really amiss. (This did happen to one individual many years ago. He attributed his inability to urinate to an aerobics class - - and called 18 hours later. :rolleyes: He was treated and, fortunately he was fine in a couple of weeks.) Never neglect neurological problems (numbness, weakness, etc). :nono:

I wish that there was some other way to tell but such has not yet been found. Scientists have looked for biochemical markers (e.g., a blood test) that could easily tell the degreee of DCS, but to no avail. But, we keep looking……..

Dr Deco

Dr Deco,

I did not know problems with urination were related to dcs.
It seems having to urinate as soon as you enter the water is pretty common.
Regards,
Mike

Unfortunately even the pressure test isn't 100%... for example, one of the very best cures for my arthritis pain is to go diving, the deeper the better (within rec limits). I don't know whether it is the narcotic effect of Nitrogen or something else, but it sure does work, and usually is good for hours after a dive, too.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom