Join us on the Great Escape, Jan 17, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, so far we are planing a 7:00 AM departure, diving the front side of Catalina.
It also looks like it is 95% ScubaBoard members! Fun will be had by all.

For what it's worth, the Great Escape did have a Farnsworth trip planned this past Saturday (Reefseekers charter). They turned the west corner and at first thought they would make it but soon learned the waves and current were too strong and abandoned a Farnsworth attempt and dove the west end instead.
Alas, that's the way it is with Farnsworth. You plan for it and hope that Mother Nature would agree to let you go there and play.

I was lucky in that my first trip out there was a gorgeous day. It had taken others four, five or six trips to find one with amenable weather.

Alas, that's the way it is with Farnsworth. You plan for it and hope that Mother Nature would agree to let you go there and play.

I was lucky in that my first trip out there was a gorgeous day. It had taken others four, five or six trips to find one with amenable weather.

I was on a 4 day trip last summer that included Farnsworth. The ocean was lake flat from SB Island to Catalina, weather was perfect 75 degrees, not a wisp of wind. Got to the pinnacle and there was about a 4 knot current raging. So we dove the backside and were to try again the next day. Same conditions. So even when the surface conditions are great, what's down below can be much different. I am 2 for 6 on Farnsworth trips. I think thats what makes it sort of a Grail Quest. You just never know.

I will mention that instead of Farnsworth the 2nd day we did dive with more Giant Sea Bass than I have ever seen in one spot. So there was an upside. :D:D:D

I was on a 4 day trip last summer that included Farnsworth. The ocean was lake flat from SB Island to Catalina, weather was perfect 75 degrees, not a wisp of wind. Got to the pinnacle and there was about a 4 knot current raging. So we dove the backside and were to try again the next day. Same conditions. So even when the surface conditions are great, what's down below can be much different. I am 2 for 6 on Farnsworth trips. I think thats what makes it sort of a Grail Quest. You just never know.

I will mention that instead of Farnsworth the 2nd day we did dive with more Giant Sea Bass than I have ever seen in one spot. So there was an upside. :D:D:D

Hope to not be hijaking this thread too much with Farnswoth stories but so far I've been lucky, I'm 3 for 3 on my attempts out to Farnsworth. But each time we only did one dive there, with current conditions we elected to move for subsequent dives.

Looking forward to some good frontside diving on Saturday with a good group of divers. Weather and conditions should be great.

Hope to not be hijaking this thread too much with Farnswoth stories but so far I've been lucky, I'm 3 for 3 on my attempts out to Farnsworth. But each time we only did one dive there, with current conditions we elected to move for subsequent dives.

Looking forward to some good frontside diving on Saturday with a good group of divers. Weather and conditions should be great.

Not to worry about hijacking, I know the mod!

We are going to have a great time - the boat is full!

See you all Saturday morning!

Jesus Dave I am Jealous!! Do you do this every year?? I am stuck here!

Jesus Dave I am Jealous!! Do you do this every year?? I am stuck here!

I trade locations with you anytime:wink: (He is in Kauai, HI)

This is my first venture into chartering a dive boat and I must say the participation from ScubaBoard has been outstanding! (Thank you all!):D

Now, all that's left is the actual dive. Conditions looks pretty good so far so let's just hope it will be perfect!

I'm looking forward to 3 great dives tomorrow. It probably doesn't get much warmer than this in January, hoping the viz is equally great.

I'll be coming alone so I'll need to buddy up with someone, looks like a few others may be in the same condition so it should all work out for us single divers.

I won't be getting down to the boat until the morning, see everyone then, at least until I head down to the bunk to finish my night's sleep.:doh2:

I'm looking forward to posting pics of our surface intervals. Should bring a smile to our frozen brethren's faces. :laughsnow::cold: :D........well, maybe not. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom