Jocassee lake.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jocassee's level is down over 20 feet. I haven't been up there since the dive Leah was referring to - certainly not one of our best dives. We've both had a lot going on this summer (not traveling or diving to great spots) - just stuff. Please tell me we'll get some good diving in before the season is shot :shakehead:

I like October and November for diving the lake. The water is warm and fewer classes. If the lake gets much lower. I may try the graveyard. Anybody know what depth it’s at now?

I am going diving at the lake on Suday for the first time, is it better to go out on a charter boat? If so which one?
Thanks,
Mike

Hey everyone! My fiance and I went up to Jocassee yesterday and dove at the Diver's Ramp. The water level is probably down about 30 feet or more. I was seeing islands and rocks sticking out of the water that I have never seen before and the first training platform off the end of the Ramp was maybe not even in 5 feet of water.

We actually dove all afternoon with no wetsuits. It was chilly at times but actually VERY comfortable.

I bet the cemetary is at around 90-100 feet right now... though I haven't hit it since June when it was at 105ish. Its amazing how much water levels are down right now. I hope they plan on refilling the lake during the winter.

I'm ready to meet the SB crew! I hope Leah will definitely get a dive of the month happening for September.

Caleb

at full pond, the cemetery is at 138. This would be a great time to dive it. Keowee maxes out at 100, so they can't let it get down as much as Jocassee is - so Jocassee gets pumped out (I guess that's why they call it a pumped storage facility, huh?). Duke's official website says it's down a little over 20 feet, but I don't know when they last measured.

Yeah... I'd believe it is down a little over 20 feet or more. And I'm sure they'll keep pumping it... seeing as Jocassee is still incredibly deep in places and, like you said, Keowee is not (I have heard as deep as 600 feet or more in places however that is just what I have been told and I am just beginning to do research on the lake, so you would know a lot better than I would jocasseegirl :) ).

I am just ready for this heat to break. Makes for good diving temperatures when it warms the water, but it is just stiffling outside. Yucky...

Lets all dive together. When is the date? Lets do it! :)

Caleb

Hello everybody,

I think a group of us are finally going to be heading down to Lake Jocassee in two weeks to do our check out dives for the Advanced Nitrox / Deco Procedures course.

Is it possible to reach 150' off the boat dock?

Leah, you going to be out there by any chance on August 25th and 26th? It would be great to finally meet face to face after our exchange of PM's earlier this summer.

Mark

kb2ehj:
Hello everybody,

I think a group of us are finally going to be heading down to Lake Jocassee in two weeks to do our check out dives for the Advanced Nitrox / Deco Procedures course.

Is it possible to reach 150' off the boat dock?

Leah, you going to be out there by any chance on August 25th and 26th? It would be great to finally meet face to face after our exchange of PM's earlier this summer.

Mark

if im thinking right, about 100 yards off the ramp it goes to around 300'

Thanks sandmanz32!!

Hey kb I dove the ramp this weekend, and went to 120 off the ramp, you can go deeper, and there is a line to follow. When diving the ramp head stright out and you will see 2 training platforms, at the second one there is a line going down to a airplane wing, and prop, going down further you will be going thru some forest (trees) Viz was great and temps were 53. You might want to check out OTW diving at Jocassee, and get on the boat, for your dives. The number is 864 944-9255. Talk with Bill, and tell him what you would like to do. Going over by the wall would be better for your dives.
Also FYI for the other posts here. Dove the grave yard this weekend and it is at 120 ft. viz was great and the temp was also in the low 50's also went to the road that was going thru the vally it was at 139 ft a couple of great dives this weekend. Lake level is down 24 ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom