Jocassee lake.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday the graveyard was at 114' and between 47 and 51 degrees, dependant on whose computer we looked at. Vis was between 15-30 feet. Take a light with you.

EDIT- Usually, at full pond, the graveyard is around 140'. Try http://www.scubashopsc.com/index.html They run a great operation, with cookouts during SI.

Here's a video of the graveyard at full pond. I think that it's Bill's 'off the wall' boat at the beginning. I don't know who the divers are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IymNYZzduaw

JCAT:
Yesterday the graveyard was at 114' and between 47 and 51 degrees, dependant on whose computer we looked at. Vis was between 15-30 feet. Take a light with you.

EDIT- Usually, at full pond, the graveyard is around 140'. Try http://www.scubashopsc.com/index.html They run a great operation, with cookouts during SI.

Here's a video of the graveyard at full pond. I think that it's Bill's 'off the wall' boat at the beginning. I don't know who the divers are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IymNYZzduaw

That is Bill's boat in the video. The video was shot by Anton Cherkasov from St. Petersburg, Russia. He was doing a deep tech class with Garret Van Dreel from Charlotte.

I was there end of April with Leah and ReefRaf, would love to go again now that it has warmed up, and would love to try the charter. Not sure I have any time left this year to get back there though. I would need at least 3 days possibly.

In addition to the grave yard, depending of course on experience and training, now would be a great time to try one of the following dives:

1. The trees below the jocassee skeleton crew (follow the line down or take a surface compass heading). With the Lake down you can get max bottom time in the trees at depth. This is a cool dive swimming through upright trees - floating through a forest (but carry something to deal with monofilament line and watch for it in the branches).In June they were as shallow as 70', not sure how much the drop has been since June, but from reports it sounds like it is even down further. USE YOUR COMPASS FOR HEADINGS SO YOU WILL KNOW THE DIRECTION TO SHORE AND THE SHALLOWER DEPTHS - Make it a multilevel dive with your computer.

2. On Bill's boat I would suggest trying the following in the cove with the wall if doing two dives there:
Dive one - Drop to the junk, take the line off the back and go down the wall to the depth of your comfort/experience for a short venture, return to the Junk and do the Junk, flamingo trail, ski boat, back to junk, and venture to the right towards the wall as you leave the stern of the junk -stay to the top of the wall. You eventually run into some trees into the shallower depths to finish off the dive and safety stop.
Dive two - (Nitrox and a 100cf tank make this nice) Drop down the junk and head to the line leading to the wall, turn left and head along the upper ledge of the wall, swim about 15 min, then turn left (I usually set my compass towards the cliff face for direction before entry), swim to the next wall (I believe it was about 60' at the bottom when the Junk was at about 65' at the bottom or so). The top of the wall is about 40'. Hang another left, swim this wall a ways depending on air consumption, then take a turn right (compass heading to the cliff again) and swim to the cliff face, take a left and with luck and air consumption you'll hit near the beach in the cove. Pop a SMB and (if previously discussed) have Bill's boat pick you up. A nice multilevel dive.
Disclaimer about both of these dive. I am not at my dive log right now so the depths could be off a little (make adjustments based on the depth of the bottom of the Junk). USE A COMPASS. Follow your dive tables or computer with regards to NDLs. Do those lo-o-o-ng safety stops. Also, we do like to swim a bit and this may be a little too aerobic for some. Bill or his boat captain of the day might not appreciate this dive suggestion as folks aren't staying in just one area, but he runs a great operation and tries very hard to accommodate :D He followed behind our bubbles last we did this dive. We do tend to wander a bit.... Do a Scubaboard search on Jocassee and you can see pictures of the wall before the flood'n - this help give you a better picture of what is down there in terms of the 2 walls and the cliff. Be safe!

Back
Top Bottom