Jocassee in May.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kinda my thinking as well...only question I have is could I use the same 7mm diving off the coast of SC, but after reading a number of threads I see there are more folks then I thought diving 7mm even in Florida and points south. I have heard good things about Off The Wall Charters, but don't know of any others in area. I'm one of those guys that would much rather hear about a group from an outside source then just go by the website.

Off the Wall runs a top notch charter for the money. I have been on several technicals dives at Jocassee with Bill. You can always dive from the old boat ramp for free($2.00 park admission) almost free! As far as the wet suit issue only you know how cold natured you are. You could always go with a 5 mil and a core warmer. Myself I only dive dry anymore. If you plan on diving year round that is going to be a wise investment.
Dive Safe, Dive often
Butch

thanks Butch..never thought about wearing a core...and a dry suit is still one of those things that would cost me twice....cost of dry suit, cost of something shiny for the wife

Diving at Jocassee this time of year a 7 mil with hood and gloves would be suggested. In July and Aug a 7 mil is way to much, unless you plan on diving below 100'. I usually dive a 5mil in the summer, and add a shorty 3 mil to my 5 for this time of the year. There is a charter running the weekend of the 26th with the Scuba shop out of Spartenburg. They run every other weekend. There number is 864 585-5694. Hope this helps, you can PM me for any other questions.

In the dead of summer, a 5-mil will work in Jocassee, but I wear my 7 all the time now, and I'm very comfortable. I highly recommend Henderson Hyperstretch - way easier to get into than any suit I've ever worn.

Bill with Off the Wall Dive Charters gives excellent service. I've heard good things about the Scuba Shop in Spartanburg, too, but Bill is a licensed boat captain, and he knows the lake better than anyone - especially if you want to dive the cemetery (which is about 114ffw right now - the lake is still down about 24feet).

Bill is a very good friend of mine, and his boat is very nice. He's a highly-experienced diver (dives tri-mix to 300 feet), and if there were ever an emergency, I'd want him there. He was a brutually strict dive instructor, and after talking with some other folks who got certified elsewhere, I'm glad Bill taught me. Tell him I sent you:wink:

will do Jocasseegirl...thanks for all the imput guys and be safe out there

Sorry for the late reply on this thread, but just wanted to add my $0.02.

I dive a 7mm Bare Arctic year round at Jocassee. The thermocline changes depth as the seasons change, and in the winter is non-existant. Below the thermocline, the temps are fairly constant in the low-to-mid 50's. During the summer, the thermocline can dip to 60', and surface temps can get fairly warm.

All that being said, everybody has a different tolerence to cold, and the question is when (season wise) and how deep you plan to go to determine what level of exposure protection is right for you.

This past weekend for deep dives past 100', I also added a 3mm hooded vest, added 5mm gloves, and also brought a thermos of hot water to fill my wetsuit prior to the dive. Made the water temps very tolerable and enjoyable!

Dive Safe.

This past Saturday, temps were 62 at 40 feet.

Sorry for the late reply on this thread, but just wanted to add my $0.02.

I dive a 7mm Bare Arctic year round at Jocassee. The thermocline changes depth as the seasons change, and in the winter is non-existant. Below the thermocline, the temps are fairly constant in the low-to-mid 50's. During the summer, the thermocline can dip to 60', and surface temps can get fairly warm.

All that being said, everybody has a different tolerence to cold, and the question is when (season wise) and how deep you plan to go to determine what level of exposure protection is right for you.

This past weekend for deep dives past 100', I also added a 3mm hooded vest, added 5mm gloves, and also brought a thermos of hot water to fill my wetsuit prior to the dive. Made the water temps very tolerable and enjoyable!

Dive Safe.

I don't have tech deep yet, but someone I dive with who has just gotten adv. trimix reported temps in the high 20's at 360'+ in that lake. is that realistic?

Back
Top Bottom