JM Cousteau Show - Masks??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abitton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Caught one of Jean-Michel Cousteau's shows last night...

They seemed to be wearing some sort of "holder" for their regs (i.e. looked like a mask in which they fitted the mouthpieces).

They actually look as it it was a two-piece 'full face'...

Any ideas???

Alex

abitton:
Caught one of Jean-Michel Cousteau's shows last night...

They seemed to be wearing some sort of "holder" for their regs (i.e. looked like a mask in which they fitted the mouthpieces).

They actually look as it it was a two-piece 'full face'...

Any ideas???

Alex

usually used for communication gear

They are Kirby Morgans and are used for underwater comms - you can see the little recievers clipped on their mask straps in a few shots.

Well, maybe just a little hijack here but I was noticing, too, that they didn't have any back up regs and I didn't notice any BC device unless it was integrated within the back pack.

Did I see gauges? I look closer next time but they sure didn't have any buoyancy trouble!

Sasquatch:
Well, maybe just a little hijack here but I was noticing, too, that they didn't have any back up regs and I didn't notice any BC device unless it was integrated within the back pack.

Did I see gauges? I look closer next time but they sure didn't have any buoyancy trouble!
actually in the last episode the did have some buoyancy issues.
there was a shot of one of them rototilling along the bottom and a couple shots of them finning to stay put in midwater.
tho in the shark special i didn't notice them having any trouble

The shark episode was the first and only one I've seen so far. Still curious about the buoyancy control, gauges and back-up reg.

Cousteu never/rarely used BCs or octapus or any of that. I have several DVDs of the early programs. Not only that but they also used double hose regulators, single stage Mistrals mostly. Their integrated tank system had a reserve mechainism that held back sufficient air, Cousteu never liked SPGs and he prefered the reserve mechanism. Since he was the co-inventor of open circuit scuba his ideas had a huge impact on equipment choice for decades. For example, even though there were SPGs available they were rarely used by sport divers and many regulators had no standard provision for one.

These programs are often more concerned with style and appearnece. That is why they wore the silver suits or the black suits with streamlned gear. He did not like stuff dangling off the diverrs as it distracted from the scene so it does not surprise me that his son does similar tricks.

Come to think, I don't use a BC or octapus either whenever possible. The link below shows--uh--me swimming along with a Mistral, no BC and I am perfectly in trim and perfectly neutral. Healthwys made in France mask,Voit Skindiver fins, USD steel 72 on a Voit BP, USD single stage Mistral, SeaVue spg and Seko Orange Monster watch and Voit combo depth guage and compass and you can see the J rod for the reserve as well. No octapus and no snorkel.

http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/triv_weeki.html

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom