JJ vs KISS Spirit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jacksonchapin24

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’ve been looking for a first unit to get certified on and am stuck between the JJ and the Spirit. I know that one is Manuel and the other is Electronic but what would people recommend?

If those are your only two considerations, JJ hands down. They are not comparable units in terms robustness nor flexibility. The only advantage of the spirit is the ability to shove the whole thing into a 30L backpack.

They are vastly different. What are your goals for CCR? Travel, Deep, Cave, Tech, Recreational, etc?

Personally, I am a rec/tech diver that dive CCR for flexible profiles, silence, comfort, photography. I travel with my CCR and dive multiple times per week near home. I don't dive much beyond recreational depths, don't use tri-mix, and don't do caves. For me the Kiss Spirit is perfect. I've been diving one for 10 years and love it still. Nothing has ever failed that I can't address with some o-ring replacements and standard tools.

Two totally different units. The Kiss is lightweight, (very very lightweight) simple, good for travel and good as an almost recreational rebreather.

JJ is heavier, still simple, better for more challenging (deeper more technical) diving and with a better scrubber. Also more expensive.

Depends on what you want to do with it.

I've never thought of the Spirit as more than a toy (and a good one at that) but people seem to be doing some deep and long dives on the Sidewinder which is no better.

They are vastly different. What are your goals for CCR? Travel, Deep, Cave, Tech, Recreational, etc?

Personally, I am a rec/tech diver that dive CCR for flexible profiles, silence, comfort, photography. I travel with my CCR and dive multiple times per week near home. I don't dive much beyond recreational depths, don't use tri-mix, and don't do caves. For me the Kiss Spirit is perfect. I've been diving one for 10 years and love it still. Nothing has ever failed that I can't address with some o-ring replacements and standard tools.
my goals are to do light deco diving and hopefully cave diving. I know they are very different but ive heard of people cave diving with both and deco diving with both. i get what you mean though

One of the great things about CCR is the dive that would incur deco on OC either never hit that limit, or a long deco turns into a short one. It's one of the most useful aspects of CCR diving.

@jacksonchapin24 - what other units have you considered and why did you limit your choices to JJ and KISS? I am curious. What happened to Meg, XCCR?

I’ve been looking for a first unit to get certified on and am stuck between the JJ and the Spirit. I know that one is Manuel and the other is Electronic but what would people recommend?
Those are two totally different beasts. If the number of dives in your avatar is correct I would suggest neither right now. Single tank open circuit for a couple more years. You aren't ready for this.

@jacksonchapin24 - what other units have you considered and why did you limit your choices to JJ and KISS? I am curious. What happened to Meg, XCCR?
That’s just what instructors I have close access too. I have a JJ instructor near my house and a KISS instructor near my family in Florida

That’s just what instructors I have close access too. I have a JJ instructor near my house and a KISS instructor near my family in Florida
Ok, I just have to ask - where in FL is your family? FL is sort of a prime spot for CCR instruction, and you can get an instructor on any popular unit.

Back
Top Bottom