Jim Ernst Avatar...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With so many instructors at Break Water, I wonder how many students get lost and have to surface to re-group?

I had a hard time keeping MikeMill and Brad close to me during our last dive, lost Mike twice. :(

Ron,

It was hard because Mike was in a drysuit and required much more attention than Brad which was in a wetsuit.

Brad stayed on me like a Remora on a shark. I should've worked with the slowest diver, and I made that mistake. Viz was bad and everytime I would look back, Brad was all over me but Mike was just a hair away from Brad.

Mike would come down make some adjustments to his suit and then I would turn back to move forward, next thing I look I don't see Mike.

Then I swim around in a circle and find him again, it was hard, exhausting.

Once I find him, he's making adjustments to his suit and then I ask him if he's okay, he says, yes and then I lose him again.

On the last dive we were deep about 41 feet when I lost him again. Working with drysuit divers is hard and I see what you guys go through.

OHHHHHH SNAP! We've degenerated into lawyer jokes. :D
You know what is wrong with lawyer jokes? Lawyers don't think they are funny and everyone else don't think they are jokes.

as a general rule you want to proceed at the pace of the slowest swimmer so you don't have a hard time keeping your buddies close.

But don't feel to bad I lost Mike once myself. :doh2:

And then you yelled at me for not coming to the surface to look for my buddy. Don't think I'll forget that for a long time :D

Sounds to me like Mike is the one getting lost, if everyone is having the same problem, maybe it isn't you?
I think that's just indicative of having buddy trios instead of buddy pairs. Someone isn't watching the last guy so close (not like if he were in front of you), and if the last guy isn't really intent on watching the guy in front of him, someone's sure to go missing.
I know you solo divers don't agree, but there's nothing worse for me than feeling like I'm all alone out there.

With Ron it was during my scuba refresher after years without regular diving. The rest of the separations occur because both of us have a camera in our hands and are focused on that. Soloing is fun, especially when there are other divers around (note: not relying on those divers at all). Like when on a boat and you all are in the same general area and as you swim around you bump into other divers.

Sounds to me like Mike is the one getting lost, if everyone is having the same problem, maybe it isn't you?
I think that's just indicative of having buddy trios instead of buddy pairs. Someone isn't watching the last guy so close (not like if he were in front of you), and if the last guy isn't really intent on watching the guy in front of him, someone's sure to go missing.
I know you solo divers don't agree, but there's nothing worse for me than feeling like I'm all alone out there.

Well in Mikes defense there was a little mis communication between us, but since then he and I have no problem staying together. Thats the good thing about steady buddy pairs you get used to each other and communication becomes easier.

You have a point about trio's, it does end up where one gets the shaft. as for the last guy, he's the one that should be watched, because if he's last he's probably slower and will be left behind if your not attentive. You can't expect someone to pick up the pace because your quicker, that guy will get wore out, burn through his air, and generally have a rotten time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom