Jetty Dive anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob Bibber

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking to dive the south jetty at Port Aransas tomorrow afternoon. High tide is at 3:49 and weather forecast looks fantastic.

It's possible your experience exceeds your profile but if not I'd strongly recommend doing this dive only with someone who has a lot of jetty diving experience. Some things to consider:

- Visibility is likely to be low. The best I've heard there is 10-15' and that is usually late summer or early fall. Aside from enjoyment, low visibility can make problem solving harder and take you out of your comfort zone faster.

- Strong currents. Typically, jetties are at the constriction between ocean and inland bay/harbor. The flow in and out can be strong depending on tidal volume. You show some awareness of this by mentioning high tide, which is the best time.

- Hazards. There is likely to be fishing line so take a few cutting devices that you can reach with either hand. Watch for boat traffic. Tow a dive flag and ascend cautiously.

I have done my homework and am fully cognizant of my diving inexperience. My original dive buddy for this has a lot of experience diving the jetties but he had to work this weekend. I've also discussed it at length with a few instructors. I know the potential for low vis and fishing line entanglement. Both are conditions that I do have some experience with.

Looking forward to the dive report. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom