Jetfins from Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ocelot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought some lightning bolt Scubapro Jet Fins, and when I looked into them, they say made in Mexico but also have a US patent number. I'm confused, because I was of the understanding that Jetfins were made in USA with the exception of a brief stint in Taiwan.

Anyone else have or see these?

Attachments

• IMG_7006.JPG
    IMG_7006.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 162
Not sure. I should have specified, but I bought these used.

There's a video online showing how rubber fins are made at the Pacific Molding Company in California. Most of the film focuses on the making of Oceanways Pro fins, but there are scenes showing trimming, cleaning and assembly of Jet Fins from about 3 minutes in:

I bought some lightning bolt Scubapro Jet Fins, and when I looked into them, they say made in Mexico but also have a US patent number. I'm confused, because I was of the understanding that Jetfins were made in USA with the exception of a brief stint in Taiwan.

Anyone else have or see these?

Can you show us a picture of the ScubaPro insignia with the lighting bolt through it?

I have a pair of SeaSport fins that were made in Mexico. They were based upon a similar design but only had two vents instead of three. I have two pair of Lightnings and one of the original pair but all were made in USA.

Here's a pic with the logo on it.

Attachments

• IMG_7005.JPG
    IMG_7005.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 150
Those appear to be identical to my US made fins, aside from the straps, of course.

The good news is that the SeaSports made in Mexico, which are about 32 years old, are still in good condition :) Apparently their rubber compounds were OK.

Many of the parts on my 1991 Ford Explorer were originally from Mexico, including some of the rubber parts so it would appear to me that their rubber in general is of high quality. Matter-of-fact the car was "Made in Mexico" and it's the most reliable, well built car I've ever owned.

Last edited:
Yes, rubber fins made in Mexico are excellent. I love my long-bladed Clasicas made by Escualo Sports in Mexico City. Their roomy foot pockets fit so well that I almost forget I am wearing these fins:
Escualo.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom