Jet Fins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik Il Rosso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After diving for two and a half years with a pair of Cressi Frog (excellent fins) I would like to change them and buy a pair of Jet fins...

I currently dive with a BP/W, long hose and want to improve my frog kick...

I cannot try these fins before I buy so do you think that I could have problems with them ???

I am a little bit worried about cramps or not being able to "Handle" them...

I know it's a stupid question but I do not like to throw money out of window...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

The first time I put Jets on, I thought somebody had strapped concrete blocks to my feet.

The other day, I put on my Razors (which I was diving before the Jets) in the pool. I made it about four feet before I flew back to the edge of the pool, got out, and went and got the Jets.

They're stiff and heavy, and feel awful at first. Once you figure out how to use them, you no longer like the feel of anything else.

I am given to foot and leg cramps, and I've not had any significant problems with the Jets.

I love my jets and wouldn't trade them for the world. I'm small and I have no problems with them.

My jets are my fourth set of fins, and finally I am happy. Started with an open heel Tusa Liberator, but they were extremely bouyant. Next were some full foot fins. Loved them, but burned the bottoms of my feet on the beach dives. So I went back to open heel fins, but had leg cramps no matter how much I drank and ate bananas (I heard that cramps is low potassium, or needing hydration). I was giving some jets to try and I bought mine own a few months later. Got them on ebay $35 including shipping.

"I am a little bit worried about cramps or not being able to "Handle" them..."

If you're going to be doing modified frog kicks, you won't have any problem handling the Jet Fins, becuase frog kicks use a different set of muscles. You'll notice you're going just as fast as other divers doing the flutter kick. Now if you were going to try to do a 800 yard swim using flutter kick and Jet Fins, you might have quite an adjustment period.

Consider getting the spring straps if you get Jet Fins. I got a set of Manta spring straps from Leisure Pro - it took a bit of work getting them attached (had to use a big set of pliers), but they're worth it.

Another thing about cramps. People assume that they are always due to dehydration. Yes, sometimes they are. But if you "bicycle" instead of doing a correct frog or flutter, you WILL get cramps. I had this problem my first couple of dives and I was told by everyone that it was my lousy kicking. I learned how to frog kick during my next few dives and the cramps went away.

Last year when I got back into diving I pulled out my 30 year old IDI Rocket Fins (now XS Scuba Power fins). They were still in great condition and I started diving with them. Then I bought a pair of Aeris Velocity Duo split fins. I didn't notice much difference. The Duos actually felt stiffer than my Rockets (probably because they have longer blades). I'm back to diving with my Rockets. Throw in their versatility with alternate kicks and they can't be beat.

Love my SP Jets.:D I am in the minority by saying I bought the spring straps and hated them. Went back to the rubber straps and all is good.:D

have had the same pair of jets for 27 years.love them,but there not for everyone.it takes some leg muscle to make em go.

I had cramps (sometimes) using Cressi Rondine A fins. Also had pain in my ankles. I got these fins just after OW, two years ago.

This year, I got JetFins.

I ain't never going back...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom