Jet Fins. Uneven wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ifukuda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I been using S-Pro Jet Fins for about a year and I think they're great.

But, I've noticed that one of the fins have softend up quite a bit. The other one is as stiff as the day I've purchased them. Should I be concerned?

Just kidding...

I have one that actually broke, the ribs cracked right above the vents. But they are over a decade old now... I have been told that the newer ones have a lifetime warranty?

I am still using them but planning to pick up another pair soon...

I would not worry about the stiffness to much...

Jeff Lane

When I bought my first pair last year I noticed one foot pocket was a lot stiffer than the other such that the top edge cut into the top of my foot and it remained like a box rather than becoming oval around my foot. I took out the calipers and lo and behold the rubber was twice as thick on this fin mainly in the top of the foot pocket. I took them back to the LDS and got another pair and boy what a difference. Since then there has been no stiffening in any part of the fin.
I guess just some QC issues at the factory on the first pair.

Being that all fins are, of course, petroleum based products, has one or the other been exposed to more UV light? Does one rest upon the other during storage?

Unlikely. The fins aren't exposed to direct sunlight during storage. After a day of diving, I soak the fins in a tub of fresh water, hang to dry (out of direct sunlight), and store them indoos in a big plastic bin.

No big deal. There's no difference in performance. I won't worry until I notice myself swimming in a circle.

FYI: I just put spring straps on mine. I like my fins even better now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom