Jet fins Spring strap: Halcyon vs generic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both the Halcyon and generic versions (from Manta). The Halcyon set I have on my Turtles for my drysuit and the generics are on my Jets for wetsuit diving. Is there a difference? Well, the Halcyon has a nice cordura sleeve over the spring which can prevent snags... are they worth the price difference? No. They're 'nicer' and maybe more durable but they really aren't worth the expense.

For around $20 try out the generics and if they break or you're unhappy with them you haven't lost much.

piikki:
IOne example. You might need different straps for example when going from Rockboots to Turbosoles or vice versa - not everyone swaps fin size, just strap size).
FYI: I use the same fins and the same ss spring straps without any adjustment/modifications whatsoever with my drysuit boots in wintertime, my regular wetsuits 5mm boots in spring/summer/autumn, as well as my warm water 2mm thin boots while on vacation... that's the nice thing about ss spring straps, you don't have to adjust anything anymore...

I use the Manta straps, and am quite happy with them. SS spring straps are a great invention! I used to own Dacor Tiger fins, and the cheesy buckle broke twice on them. I love being able to get into the fins quickly without any hassle.

piikki:
I have no idea which is better... however I disagree with the last notion that one never needs to remove the spring straps :D So if that IS an issue with the other style, then I am happy I happened to get originals on sale. (One example. You might need different straps for example when going from Rockboots to Turbosoles or vice versa - not everyone swaps fin size, just strap size).

The way I solved that issue is to have two set of fins. I use Turtles for my drysuit and XL Jets for anything that requires I smaller boot. But again that's just me so do what works best for you. :)

MtnDiver:
Only took two surf entries to convince me of the merits of spring straps. Stretch, snap and they're on compared to stop, try to balance while putting on loose strap then trying to tighten while being pushed around by the surge/surf.

I have my straps on my jets tightened where they need to be. I easily slip them over my boots and they don't need to be tightened once in water?

Beach entries I put the fins on after I am in the water and don't try and walk in.....

MtnDiver:
Only took two surf entries to convince me of the merits of spring straps. Stretch, snap and they're on compared to stop, try to balance while putting on loose strap then trying to tighten while being pushed around by the surge/surf.

I haven't found my springs any easier to put on or off. I believe the advantage is that there is nothing that will break.

I suppose I'm the only one here who really likes the Halcyon straps...

SparticleBrane:

Nope!! I've had Halcyons, Home made, and someone elses. I like the Halcyons!! I have them on My Jets, and my Turtles.
Are they worth that much more? Probably not. But I get what I like.

SparticleBrane:
Nope!!!I really like Halcyon too:wink:

Back
Top Bottom