Jet fins Spring strap: Halcyon vs generic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skywalk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi folks,

my LDS is selling the halcyon spring straps for slightly under double the price of non-halcyon straps. They argue that it uses the original scubapro fitting, and that the other generic straps with the hooks that fit into the fins might damage the fins.

My question is, for all you folks who have spring straps for jet fins, is it worth paying double for H straps?

thank you in advance.

It's not worth paying double the price. The only damage is to the buckle when you have to take the it off, but then again you don't need it. You can either buy the cheaper version, or make some yourself and save a few bucks. In fact, the ones I made are nicer than the ones from Manta that I bought.

Well... I mounted "generic" ss spring straps (7 EUR for a pair of spring straps) on my jetfins... and several of my friends did mount the spring straps in the same way on their jetfins and they're perfectly happy with it!!!
See the last two photographs on my page http://www.torpedo.be/springs.html (it's in Dutch, but the photographs are "multilingual"...)... you only need a saw blade to get the slits and a pair of stainless steels bolts and nuts and the spring straps are perfectly and securely fitted...

Am I the only one who prefers the original straps to springs???

sasscuba:
Yes.

While black is cool, SS is so much cooler.

I use the original straps myself, although I can see myself switching once I am done spending money on other gear. Any reason not to other than the price?

~Jess

Luc,

I do not speak Dutch, but fortunately a picture is worth a thousand words....What a great site. Could I suggest you put a link somewhere in the "Do it yourself-DIY" section?

Luc Dupas:
http://www.torpedo.be/springs.html (it's in Dutch, but the photographs are "multilingual"...)... you only need a saw blade to get the slits and a pair of stainless steels bolts and nuts and the spring straps are perfectly and securely fitted...
Very nice. I am now tempted to use this method myself when the time comes.

~Jess

sasscuba:
Only took two surf entries to convince me of the merits of spring straps. Stretch, snap and they're on compared to stop, try to balance while putting on loose strap then trying to tighten while being pushed around by the surge/surf.

boomx5:
It's not worth paying double the price. The only damage is to the buckle when you have to take the it off, but then again you don't need it.

I have no idea which is better... however I disagree with the last notion that one never needs to remove the spring straps :D So if that IS an issue with the other style, then I am happy I happened to get originals on sale. (One example. You might need different straps for example when going from Rockboots to Turbosoles or vice versa - not everyone swaps fin size, just strap size).

Back
Top Bottom