jet fins or bio-fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ScubaPro Jet fins...the one with the paperpunch holes IMO are one of the best fins of all times. I have two pairs, one is fairly new and the other is at least 30 years old (came in a box of old gear). The rubber on these fins are very pliable---unlike other "jetfins" that I have had before. As you have probably read in other posts, the jets are king in currents and with lots of bulky gear. We have also found them very useful when running DPV's--

I'd look on ebay and you can probably get both fins for the price of one. I got my bios on ebay (brand new) for $75 they retail for around $189!!!! I've seen twin jets on there for around the same price buy them both and you've spent $150 for two really solid fins. Gotta love Ebay.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
I disagree with Vie that Bios are easy to damage at all.

You misread my post. I said the Jet Fins and Bio-fins "are both made out of rubber but the compounds used are very different. The Bio-fins are quite soft and is SOMEWHAT EASIER to damage." Note that I am comparing the Bio-fins to Scubapro Jet Fins (probably the most indestructible fins out there)...

there are pros and cons of both fins. Jet fins works very well with frog kick, as you have to frog and glide. The maneverability is very good for jet fin.

As for biofin, ive tried 2 kind, the normal ones and the Xtra Torque which i am using now. The soft ones is nice to kick, but no maneuerabilita cant do any modified frog kick efficiently. Its effortless and hence its suitbale to those who likes to uses small flutter kick. On the other hand, the Apllo Bio XT is hard to your leg,as it is hard. But it's lightning fast,able to do scuffle kick or frog kick and no problem with currents.

All in all, its back to you on your usage and what kind of kicking pattern that suits you.

Pardon my ignorance, I'm new to diving and reading this during a snow storm. Can someone explain what a jet fin is and what a bio fin is?

Has there been any studies or does anyone have an educated opinion on what type of fin would be best or does it even matter on the scuba divers physical charecteristics? I mean If someone has muscular legs but not the greatest aerobic capacity would they be better off with a high torque fin that does not require as many kick cycles and a person with great aerobic capacity and not much muscle mass a flexible fin like the Bio that requires more kick cycles but less torque? Kinda like the gear ratio on a bicycle. One person may be more efficient in one gear and someone else may be much different.
Any thoughts???

edylchtims:
Pardon my ignorance, I'm new to diving and reading this during a snow storm. Can someone explain what a jet fin is and what a bio fin is?

A Bio fin is a split fin made by the Appolo company that was a scuba mag testers choice and the Jet fin is a fin made by Scubapro which many divers have been swearing by for years.

I don't recall seeing the jet fins in that test... anybody concur or know why?????

Edit: I cked back in the old issue and it seems they were only testing new model fins and scubapro had no new fins out for 2005. However I cked the scuba lab test for travel bc's and no scubapro either without an explanation. Does scubapro make a travel or light weight version?? I guess I'll ck their website since you guy's are making me feel a bit unloved here! My last post was at 11:26 and I am editing this at 6:38 and nooooooo one responded to me. I guess I have cooties!!

OK I cked they do have one called the Equator a back inflation light weight with the word travel in the description. I wonder why they are not represented in the test??? Any thoughts??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom