Jet Fins & Converse Chuck Taylors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This is a bit esoteric but I know the info is out there.

I am sold on the notion of buying a sock foot drysuit and using Converse high tops for the boot. I wear a size 10.5 shoe and will probably require a size 12 high top.

Can I get the range of Converse sizes that will fit in L and XL Jet Fins?

I can't specifically answer your question, but I can tell you this. I went w/ the neoprene sock for my wetsuit and a pair of Bare trekboots--very similar to the black Chuck Taylors you're thinking of going with. When I tried them on with my XL Jets, they were way too tight. So, upon the recommendation of another diver who went through the same thing, I bought a pair of Turtles and they fit great. By far the easiest fin to get in and out of I've ever had(w/ no spring strap either). By the way, I wear a size 10 1/2 shoe/sneaker like you. I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but I hope this info will help you anyhow. Good luck.

LobstaMan

I wear a 14 in DUI rock boots and XXL jets are perfect. My usual dive buddy I think wears a 10 or so and he wears Turtles with his (he wears XL Jets with wetsuit boots). I think XL OMS slipstreams fit him as well if you want something a little lighter.

Size 11 Chuck Taylor Hi-Tops work for me with XL jets - you can shave off some of the rubber on the sides to make the fit better (though it's not necessary). I also removed all the padding at the bottom (ripped it out) to make more space and right now they are a snug fit for my size 10.5 or 11 feet when worn with warm socks and my drysuit's neoprene socks. With very thick socks, like my 320g, double-layer fleece booties (like these), I don't think they would fit, though I haven't tried.

I'm not sure, but I wear size 13 Chucks over my size 12 feet with neoprene drysuit socks, and they fit great in Turtles, which are just a little bigger than XL Jets. You might get some strange looks, but why not bring a fin to the shoe store with you to be sure?

I know Turtles claim to fame is they fit rock boots. And are a great copy of SP Jet Fins.

*Floater*:
Size 11 Chuck Taylor Hi-Tops work for me with XL jets - you can shave off some of the rubber on the sides to make the fit better (though it's not necessary). I also removed all the padding at the bottom (ripped it out) to make more space and right now they are a snug fit for my size 10.5 or 11 feet when worn with warm socks and my drysuit's neoprene socks. With very thick socks, like my 320g, double-layer fleece booties (like these), I don't think they would fit, though I haven't tried.
What he said, been doing it that way for 3 years.

Timely thread, since I'll be doing the same thing shortly. So it sounds like size 11 or smaller will fit an XL Jet fin, but any bigger and you need Turtles (or XXL if you're a LOT bigger)?

2XL Jets have an gi-normous foot pocket and it might be actually too big for most feet. the Turtle foot pocket is somewhere between the Jet XL and 2XL.

LobstaMan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom