Jet fins are good and here's the proof!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sphyrna:
Jets will continue to be good markers for their lifetime (my jets are about 20 and still going strong). If you take 'em in a gunnite pool you'll be amazed at how many black marks show up even though you don't think you've touched the pool with 'em that much. And where they've scuffed the concrete there'll be a thin coat that'll come off on your fingers too.
If your jets are brand new there may still be some of the wax-like stuff they use in the mold to keep the rubber from sticking during the manufacturing process, and that stuff will eventually all wear off.
S

That sounds like exactly what is happening. Thanks. I figured maybe some molding wax or something...I do like them though and so does my wife! Much better than my split jets but then again I used quattros for a long while and am more used to the paddle type fin.

The white waxy stuff is the waxes and parrafins and oils in the rubber bleeding to the surface and oxidizing. It is normal and will continue for years. Coat them with 100% silicone and wipe them down and it will hide the scuffs and wax bleeding until you get them wet and help to preserve them. Some of the white stuff is also mold release trapped in the rubber. N

Nemrod:
The white waxy stuff is the waxes and parrafins and oils in the rubber bleeding to the surface and oxidizing. It is normal and will continue for years. Coat them with 100% silicone and wipe them down and it will hide the scuffs and wax bleeding until you get them wet and help to preserve them. Some of the white stuff is also mold release trapped in the rubber. N

You can use a car tire cleaner/dressing also. You need the no touch stuff that foams. Spray it on, watch it clean and penetrate! The rubber should dry to a nice glossy tone. Silicone will work on lighter oxidation but if it's peeling or turning a reddish brown the car stuff works the best.

I've used the jets (US Divers/AquaLung Rocket and the Scuba Pro Jet) for years as well, great control. But as stated, they don't offer great speed, and they're heavy on the leg. I DM in the open ocean with lots of divers and need to quickly get to some of them.:) In the ocean I use the Blue Reef Power Play Open Heel. I have used EVERY fin that I've gotten my hans on, I'll recommend: the AquaLung Blades II (regular), Mares Plana Avanti Quattro, Cressi Sub Rondine, Aeris Velocity, Genesis Aquaflex, Oceanic Vector, SeaQuest Thruster, and the Scubapro VCA Veloce Club, and Zeagle Teleoz.

OK, OK, I took another look at Jim Griers tests from 2003. I've been known to bad mouth jetfins but here comes the concession--- Based on the aforementioned tests of Scubapro jets and the 2005 Scubalab tests of the XS Powerfin (jet type) it does appear that incremental, but very significant, improvements have been made to the jet fin rubber compounds.

I still maintain that the Apollo bio pro is the fastest and most efficient SCUBA fin in the world, the operative word being "efficient" as in air consumption. However, the gap closed without being aware. I apologize for saying previously that the jet is "obsolete". The performance figures for the NEWER SP jets and the Powerfin are such that these fin types are still competitive in todays's world. Not my cup of tea but I can understand why some continue to promote their use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom