A Fin Review 2.0: Split Fins VS all others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll have to ask k_ellis, do you feel any resistance when sweeping your fin sidways through the water?

Honestly I have not even paid any attention. If their is any resistance it would probably be minimal. I use them also in an aquarium which requires some fairly tight turns. I also find stopping then turning around and taking off an extremely easy concept compared to the blade fins out there that I can attest too.

Ive done some side finning as it makes cleaning the aqarium easier too and I can not report really any difficulties to speak of myself. Overall for such a tight space as an aquarium they have proven to me to be the greatest I have used yet.

In the open I cant really rate them in a current yet as I have not had the chance to place them in the ocean on a drift dive but this will be forth coming also.

I don't clean aquaria, but I've never noticed resistance on the side sweep portion of the frog kick either. I have noticed that I make adjustments with my ankles for all of the non-flutter kick styles, though. Also, it might depend on the specific fin--not all splits perform the same way just as not all blades perform the same way. Some of the resistance or lack of it in different split fins may have to do with the rigidity of the material used in the fin or the shape of the side ridge. Of course, this is just conjecture, and as soon as one diver relates a specific experience or impression, another one will come along with a diametrically opposite one!

Well if I ever get another chance to try a different brand of splits, I'll definitely do so. =]

Well if I ever get another chance to try a different brand of splits, I'll definitely do so. =]

Honestly while its great everyone seeks a review I would say spend the time more appropriately and just enjoy the dive. Its great news to hear what one thinks but if I did a review on everything I did while diving it would take valuable time away that I could spend in the water :) But do give the Apollo Bio Fins a try I think youll like them :)

Heck I feel like im missing out on something with my fluro green $150 plastic fins.
But I have a pretty good sac rate and don't struggle to keep up with other divers.
Hmmm

Another aspect that I never hear addressed is the actual fin size. Typically fins are larger as the fin pocket size increases. I have large,wide feet and some brands have way too much blade in this size. Compare the XL Jets with a M for example, or Aqualung Blades in XL which don't even fit in most dive bags. So a fin that works well for a diver in one size may not for another diver in a different size.

Also as others have pointed out, it takes more than a few dives to get used to different style fins. I didn't like splits when I first tried them, and I must say that Apollos were in that lot. However one of the fastest divers I know uses them and he does not have an athletic body. SP TwinsJets are my favorite fin now as they do everything I want a fin to do and they are easy on my "past their prime" knees. I did try Force fins - once - and felt that they were no different that stapling a mud flap on the bottom of my dive boot. Still, others swear by them.

So my conclusion is there are way too many variables to be able to do really fair comparisons. It is nice to read reviews, and thank you for compiling the info, but it still comes down to opinion.

After reading a ton of reviews and test comparisons, I started off with Apollo Bio-fins. I wasn't impressed when I first tried them and thought that maybe I'd get used to them or learn some trick to kicking with them the more I dove (after all, they were a considerable investment to just give up on). After about 30 dives in them, I absolutely hated them and decided it was time to find a new fin. The last straw was a drift dive where I was fighting a current a losing site of the group I was with. I consider myself an exceptionally strong swimmer and could only attribute my lack of movement to the fins. I'm currently searching for new fins and have tired a jet style which are much more adequate. Looking forward to trying DiveRite EXP's and wish I could find someone with Hollis F-1's that I could try. Anyway, splits are not for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom