Jet fins are good and here's the proof!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m3830431:
:eyebrow:
I grew up when there was only hard fins and jet fins those with port, free diving new to SCUBA. With todays plastic, silicon or whatever is used there are numerous fins on the market that make it more dificult to decide what to use.

The only thing you can do it try it and if you like it and works it is for you. Jet fins where the begining but to many choices to say they are the answer.

You aren't kidding they make out of all kinds of materials now, here's Body Glove's latest fail attempt that I've tried. Sank like a rock, cuts down on weightbelt though. :D

don't trust fin tests ..... the size and strength of the divers legs will determine if the fins work good or not for that person. A short fat diver might have a different kick and may perfer a different type of fin from a tall muscular type. I have owned one set of fins (purchased in 1968) .... Scubapro Jet fins .... have keep them in good shape by applying Armoral on them after ever dive ...... they still work and look as good today as they did when I purchased them.

SangP:
Hiya,

I was really kidda skeptical of the jets even though I got them without ever trying one out but for those of you who think that the jets can't compete with other better performing fins out there here's proof they rock!

Jet Fins, Turtles, and Apollo XTs (plus comments ...)
by Lepomis:

http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=534

Here's a more complete report of various fins:

FINS: A Series of Independent, Comparative Tests
by Jim Grier, Dept. of Biological Sciences, North Dakota State Univ., Fargo, ND, USA

http://www.ndsu.edu/instruct/grier/fins.html

I know that Larry at Scubatoys keeps saying that the most effecient fins are the regular Apollo bios and not the XT and there's the proof.

Now if only the author would be doing a test of Force fins I'll be in hog heaven!

Thank the author, I think he did a great job!

SangP
I have read MANY of the very lengthy and informative reviews that Lepomis has done but I can't say if I agree or disagree really. However, I PERSONALLY recently had a chance to try the original Jet Fins after using the SP Splits for a while now with my dry suit. Both my wife and I always felt like the split version left us kicking like crazy and falling down. We realize that the splits require another kick, but we never really adapted as we have been using Quattros in warm water for some time now and just didn't "feel" the slpits. We did love the Jet after trying it this past weekend, and plan on selling the spilts. For the type of diving we do the splits just don't cut it. We dive slowly and methodically and NEVER have the need to get anywhere FAST. I also take photos and like to turn and stop on a dime. It's kinda like choosing the mountain bike over the road bike, IMHO. BTW, I noticed that my Jets get scratched up and seem to be peeling. Is that just because ther are made of a softer rubber? How does one fix and or solve this and is it even a big deal? Just wondering...Thanks!

" BTW, I noticed that my Jets get scratched up and seem to be peeling. Is that just because ther are made of a softer rubber? How does one fix and or solve this and is it even a big deal? Just wondering...Thanks![/QUOTE]"

I never heard of Jets peeling to tell you the truth. Sure they can get scratched more like a scuff, but never seen them peel. Do you have a picture of this by any chance?

Danny D:
" BTW, I noticed that my Jets get scratched up and seem to be peeling. Is that just because ther are made of a softer rubber? How does one fix and or solve this and is it even a big deal? Just wondering...Thanks!
"

I never heard of Jets peeling to tell you the truth. Sure they can get scratched more like a scuff, but never seen them peel. Do you have a picture of this by any chance?[/QUOTE]
Perhaps "peeling" isn't the best word to use. Scratching and scuffing certainly is taking place much more than with my quattros or any other fin I have used. Normal? I have noticed that if I rub the fins where they appear scuffed then some little almost waxy type substance comes off of them. Anyone get this? Does this stop after they are broken in? Not sure if it would show up in photos... :06:

I like Cressi Frogs. (I own both jets & frogs; like the frogs better)
S

scubadobadoo:
Normal? I have noticed that if I rub the fins where they appear scuffed then some little almost waxy type substance comes off of them. Anyone get this? Does this stop after they are broken in? Not sure if it would show up in photos... :06:
Jets will continue to be good markers for their lifetime (my jets are about 20 and still going strong). If you take 'em in a gunnite pool you'll be amazed at how many black marks show up even though you don't think you've touched the pool with 'em that much. And where they've scuffed the concrete there'll be a thin coat that'll come off on your fingers too.
If your jets are brand new there may still be some of the wax-like stuff they use in the mold to keep the rubber from sticking during the manufacturing process, and that stuff will eventually all wear off.
S

Back
Top Bottom