Jet Fin vs Rocket Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you discuss the jet fins, you also have to consider the size and strength of the person as well as the foot size and fin size. sometimes it is hard to match all three factors.

The regualr SP jet fin size Large fits my 11 size feet well with thin boots on. However, the blade size is too small for me, not a great fin for me, too weak. The larger and much heavier XL Jets, have significantly more power and propel me pretty well, but the foot pocket is too large unless I wear a 7 mm boot, plus I honestly think they are heavier than they need to be.

The jet fin also has a relatively uncomfortable foot pocket. I have even resorted to wiring a 7 mm piece of wetsuit material inside the top of the foot pocket (size XL) which makes the pocket fit better and reduces the wear and tear on my toes.

The full footfin is still much more comfortable on the foot however.

When you discuss the jet fins, you also have to consider the size and strength of the person as well as the foot size and fin size. sometimes it is hard to match all three factors.

The regualr SP jet fin size Large fits my 11 size feet well with thin boots on. However, the blade size is too small for me, not a great fin for me, too weak. The larger and much heavier XL Jets, have significantly more power and propel me pretty well, but the foot pocket is too large unless I wear a 7 mm boot, plus I honestly think they are heavier than they need to be.

The jet fin also has a relatively uncomfortable foot pocket. I have even resorted to wiring a 7 mm piece of wetsuit material inside the top of the foot pocket (size XL) which makes the pocket fit better and reduces the wear and tear on my toes.

The full foot fin is still much more comfortable on the foot however.

I guess I never really felt the Jet was that large or heavy especially once in the water and I ain't big or especially strong. But it is true what you say, you have to match the fin to the person and the use.

I used to agree with the full foot fin but I have a wide foot with a high arch and most full foot fins really hurt my feet so I went back to open heel fins. Well, I never left the Jet, just for more casual diving used full foot fins, especially for on a boat but I just cannot find any that work well and fit. The Power Planas Graphite are my last set of full foot fins, used them for a long time but they just were not getting it done for me on a dive last year in current and a long shore swim. They kept folding under from heavy kicking. So, I threw them away, they gone. Back to the Jets, the fin I love to hate and hate to love--but they work.

N

The full footfin is still much more comfortable on the foot however.

It may work that way for you, not for me.

I can't imagine a size 11 fitting in a large Jet. I have two sets of Jets. I have a large which I use with thin boots and an XL which I use with thick boots. I wear a size 9 (US) shoe.

When I switch between the L and the XL, I cannot tell any difference in power.

As for being too heavy, they are slightly negative in sea water. With my boots in the foot pockets, they are neutral in sea water. To my way of thinking, that makes them the perfect weight.

I guess I never really felt the Jet was that large or heavy especially once in the water and I ain't big or especially strong. But it is true what you say, you have to match the fin to the person and the use.

I used to agree with the full foot fin but I have a wide foot with a high arch and most full foot fins really hurt my feet so I went back to open heel fins. Well, I never left the Jet, just for more casual diving used full foot fins, especially for on a boat but I just cannot find any that work well and fit. The Power Planas Graphite are my last set of full foot fins, used them for a long time but they just were not getting it done for me on a dive last year in current and a long shore swim. They kept folding under from heavy kicking. So, I threw them away, they gone. Back to the Jets, the fin I love to hate and hate to love--but they work.

N

I have a pair of those fins. Still pretty good shape...know know why??? they are close to worthless. I would sell them for $10 if I found someone who wants them.

There are much, much better full foot fins.

N
Nemrod,

I understand where you are coming from, but realize that these fins (the Power Planas Graphite) perform differently in different waters. You were probably in relatively warm water. You may also have had them out in a boat in very warm conditions. In these conditions, the plastic will do what you say. But you transport those same fins here to Oregon, and you will see a completely different set of fin performances out of the same fins.

Now, if you are judging the scoop performance on the Mares concept fins, even the Quattra, then you have not yet experienced the scoop fin. Do I hear you wanting to try out a pair?

SeaRat

Nemrod,

I understand where you are coming from, but realize that these fins (the Power Planas Graphite) perform differently in different waters. You were probably in relatively warm water. You may also have had them out in a boat in very warm conditions. In these conditions, the plastic will do what you say. But you transport those same fins here to Oregon, and you will see a completely different set of fin performances out of the same fins.

Now, if you are judging the scoop performance on the Mares concept fins, even the Quattra, then you have not yet experienced the scoop fin. Do I hear you wanting to try out a pair?

SeaRat

LOL, I think my Planas are just worn out, nothing more. Like I said, I got a new pair of Avanti X3 on the way.

Uh, scoop fins, well, I tired to make some to play with but mine were not all that successful, faulty engineering most likely :wink:.

John, there is a new Mares fin called the Wave and it looks exactly like your scoop concept.

N

Last edited:

I wear a size 13 or 14 (depending upon the shoe), so it's always been the XL for me (which fit well). I can certainly see a smaller foot having difficulty with the foot pocket on the XL's.

Last edited:
I just sold my Tusa Zoom splits in Cozumel to someone that dives differently than me. I use Jets and Force fin pros. I love the Jets when I'm going into confined space. Every kick or propulsion need is available with ease with this fin. The Jets if I dive a lot with them on a holiday will produce cramps. I need to strech them out alot and eventually stop using them for several days. This is why I carry the Force fins. They are a dream to use as far a ease on my legs. Great speed when I need it. Can do any propulsion kick but I feel awkward with them in the caves not a proper fin for sure in a confined space for me. But when I dive in the open ocean or lake I love the Force fin for comfort. They even beat my splits for comfort. Several friends of mine like the Force fins for comfort on sore joints so they have switched over after testing them. They dont go into confined areas. Also the Force fin is a joy on a small boat for walking and donning with bungy straps.
I am really impressed with the Jets for precision movement and the sense that I know exaclty where the end of my fin is so I dont kick a wall/ceiling/stalactite if I'm in a tight spot.

firstdive2005, which size Jets were you using. The larger blade XL style were a bit much for my legs, too. But the regular sized Jets work just fine for me. Just curious.

When I do dive the "Super Jets", I stuff a piece of neporene down into the toes.

Footwear may make a big difference when diving the Lightning Jet Fin or other foot pocket fin. My first 15 years in the Jet Fin I wore a DUI TLS 350 drysuit with turbo soles boots that are thin and flexible. That was OK but my next TLS suit came with size 10 "rock boots" which are really just a cheap chinese sneaker worn over the suits crushed neoprene sock. Anyway, the rock boots were much more solid and stiff and being larger they fit very snug into the foot pocket of the XL Jet fins. This provided a very solid connection between the boot and the fin, so much so that I could have easily done without the fin strap and would not have really noticed any lack of rigidity. What I am getting at is that by achieving a really solid fit between the fin and my foot the fin became a very solid extension of my leg with no wiggle or wobble. No play at all, just like it had grown from my leg. It may be worth trying some sneakers or other solid footwear to achieve such a rigid fit and see for yourself. This is better than any fit I have ever had with a neoprene boot which can flex much more and not provide a firm connection.

Back
Top Bottom