Jet fin variations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dived with SP jets for over 30 years. While many newer companies may be making direct copies, older companies, like US Divers (who made the rocket fins) had to use a different angle in the vents. SP patented the angle of their vents. The angle USD used was not nearly as efficient.
I can't vouch for the newer designs, but the old jet is, IMHO, probably the best vented fin.

I have to admit.....I now use the SP twin speed split fins....!

I started out with JetFins and never used anything else until last year, when I got some Atomic split fins (and kept the JetFins, of course).

I never really understood the occasional complaint that the JetFins were "too hard" to use, or caused cramping, etc. I always figured that, if you used something that made your muscles work hard, your muscles adjusted to it. I don't think there's any better recommendation for the JetFin than the fact that they have been around for so long and so many experienced divers keep using them. People can still have their own preferences, but if you *don't* have a strong preference for something else, it's hard to go wrong by choosing what an awful lot of the more experienced people around you are using. I feel the same way about buying anything, and I rarely feel that I have wasted my money that way.

In any case, over the years most of the discussion I have heard about JetFins and other fins with similar design (Turtles, etc.) concerned the size of the foot pocket. A well-designed fin that doesn't fit well isn't going to be as efficient as a slightly "inferior" fin that fits properly. I could only recommend the "original" ScubaPro JetFin for this kind of fin, because it's really all I have ever known. But if you couldn't find one that fit properly, or get it to fit properly with a different boot, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest going with an "imitator" that fits better.

Ok, so here is a SP Jetfin question for all the experts around here...

I use a pair of the Lightning Jets as my regular fins, but I have a spare pair of the old non-lightnings as my spares (both in XL). I know that they have a different rubber composition to them, but is it safe to ASSUME (!) that the lightnings are "the better fin" (Yes, I know that is highly subjective) based on the theory that if people liked the old non-lightnings better, SP would have gone back to them instead of continuing on with the newer model?

BTW, I love my Jets, the only time I have a problem leg cramps is when I catch myself "pointing my toes" and using more of my calf muscles to kick with. Once I realize what I am doing and switch back to using more thigh muscle, I am fine...

well is somebody going to answer the above question?

BLT:
Ok, so here is a SP Jetfin question for all the experts around here...

I use a pair of the Lightning Jets as my regular fins, but I have a spare pair of the old non-lightnings as my spares (both in XL). I know that they have a different rubber composition to them, but is it safe to ASSUME (!) that the lightnings are "the better fin"?

Yes.

So what is the difference between Jets with the lightning bolt and Jets without?

dlndavid:
So what is the difference between Jets with the lightning bolt and Jets without?

I think the so-called lightning jet is made of a more modern, softer (?), lighter (?) material.

I just read a story on CNN that said that divers in New York City are being held-up for their "Lightnings" by roving gangs of youth divers with spear guns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom