Jet fin variations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pricewise they are becoming a very good deal online too (if you do not object to online purchases) I was able to pick them up for $46 + $10 shipping to Hawaii. The LDS charged me (for the one pair I bought from them) $99 + $15 shipping.

Turtles tend to run a few dollars more and are a little more flexible, as well as slightly wider and shorter, but still negative. I have found that most of my friends that borrow them like both, but find the Turtles to be easier (because they are more flexible) on their legs. But that is a very short-term point of view as your legs will become accustomed to the resistance they encounter and make the most of what is available to them. I've tried both and would rather the Jets, but am glad to have the Turtles available as well.

If it helps here are some of the specs I've collected so far on Jets and Turtles - http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scubaboard/fincomparison.html

Aloha, Tim

Nice job kidspot. This is excellent help for the people who are looking for the Jetfin and it's variations.
I've found a website in German that has a similar comparisation. with couple more fins of similar design as well. Hope you guys can understand some of it if you have an interest in it.
http://sumatec.de/produkte/fins/fins.html
BTW, this is an image of the Scubapro and the Beuchat Jetfins side by side. They have a different rubber composition (Beuchat is heavier and Size L is the same as Scubapro XL) but otherwise identical in design.
BTW, some people say that Beuchat invented the Jetfin for the French Navy and not Scubapro. :wink:

It's not a matter of who says who invented it. The fact is Beuchat did invent the fin. Scubapro bought the patent in the 60's. They later changed the rubber blend. I suspect the Beuchat is identical to the original Scubapro Jet Fin, but different from the Lightning Jet Fin which is all Scubapro has manufactured since around the late 70's/early 80's.

Amazing that will all of the changes in dive equipment, one of the most popular fins on the market has essentially not changed its form in 40 years. Keep in mind that even with the imposter Jet Fins, the material they are made out of will be different, it is the combination of the shape and material that make the SP jetfin so very unique.

Why does my neighbors old jet fins have a longer fin than my new jets????

ShakaZulu:
Why does my neighbors old jet fins have a longer fin than my new jets????

Guess you are on your own here bro.......who cares anyway???

Danny D:
The Xl blades are longer then the Larges and Mediums which both are the same size

Aha, thanks a lot.

DA Aquamaster:
SP Jet fins are something people either seem to love or hate. I have owned a pair since 1985 and they have been replaced several times, but after a while I always end up pulling the Jet Fins back out of the closet. There are some fins that will do one or two specific things better than a Jet Fin but I have never found a fin that would do everything as well as a Jet Fin.

I suspect that those few things that other fins can on occasion do better than a Jet Fin are the reasons why some divers who value those specific things to a high degree prefer other fins while divers who favor all around perfromance at a good to great level of efficiency stick with Jet Fins.

Comparing Jet Fin clones with the orginals has been equally contentious. Some divers feel the minor design differences and/or minor differences in rubber compounding don't make a difference while others swear that nothing performs like the originals.

So in short you are not going to get a definitive answer. But it will be entertaining to watch people argue about their opinions.

Personally, while some of the clones may be less expensive, I think Jet Fins are a better buy now than ever before. They are no longer sold as (or priced) as SP's top of the line fin, so in real dollars they are less expensive than in the past but still offer the same great performance. And SP Jets are still widely regarded as great fins so if you buy the originals you will probably never have to suffer any critisim about your choice in fins. Even divers who don't like them are not usually inclined to critisize you for choosing them.

well, for $61.95 + shipping on leisurepro and then $44.95 for the spring straps, it doesn't seem like much $ to quibble over really. IF it was a $1500 drysuit then that's one thing but seems (to me) like spend the $100 and be done with it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom