Jet fin holes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently purchased some jets second hand and noticed the holes in front of the vents- well at least depressions
aV2dEyvA-6217b65a0234dd5aa6a7ba41a8d2b35e.jpg

Detail of the holes:

PqzIzZA-6217b65a0234dd5aa6a7ba41a8d2b35e.jpg

And before anyone asks: Yes I did do a search for "Scubapro Jet Fin Holes" and got bupkis. Nada. Zip. 12 replies pertaining to other topics than holes.

Scubapro's site was no better.

Anyway, I've got 2 questions:
1) Are the holes supposed to go all the way through?
2) Do they serve a performance purpose or are they just aesthetic?

Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie jets user :D

There are no pics in your post.

On the top of the fin, the holes are between the vent and the fin tip. They come out on the fin bottom inside the vents.

Well, thanks for the reply. Not sure about the pics... I can see em just fine, but at least now I know :D So is it a common thing for those holes to be unperforated? it seems like the mold didn't make the hole go completely through. It wouldn't take much to punch through it myself, but i was just wondering if i really needed to or not.
Thanks!

As a long time lover/hater of JetFins, and others may think different, the holes, slots and vents are all like tail fins on a Buick. They are just for style and gimmick. I have swam timed laps with the holes and vents taped over and get better times with the taped over fins.

N

I think he's talking about the small holes, maybe 3/8 inch diameter, in front of the vents. So far as I can tell they serve no purpose & don't worry about them.

I think he's talking about the small holes, maybe 3/8 inch diameter, in front of the vents. So far as I can tell they serve no purpose & don't worry about them.

Yep, those are the holes I was talking about. Used a different computer and lo and behold, Walter was right - the pictures do not show up :( :dork2:
At any rate, I'm not really worried about the holes - just wanted to see if it was normal to have them slightly blocked up like that. I'm gonna leave mine as is - the way I got them.
Nemrod, I'm curious. Were you referring to the vents or those holes that were taped up? Was the test done via frog-kicking or flutter kicking? Thanks!

Your picture:

Yeah, I always thought they were from the molding process.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom