Wanted Scubapro Jet Fins, white, XL, no hole in front of fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you @Angelo Farina, great post!

I've long suspected that the ideal all-around scuba fin is a moderately long (but not freediving length) simple, flat, stiff, unvented paddle fin; something like the DiveRite XT and not the Jet. That said I happen to dive exclusively jet fins and variants at this point, to conform to the standard @lexvil set.

When I flutter kick hard I do use the straight-legged freediving technique, it works well enough in jet fins but now I'm curious to swim some laps using the crappy oldschool technique to see how the jets feel in their actual design envelope.

Sorry to derail the original thread, but I think fin design and marketing is one of the most interesting and misunderstood facets of diving.

Thank you @Angelo Farina, great post!

I've long suspected that the ideal all-around scuba fin is a moderately long (but not freediving length) simple, flat, stiff, unvented paddle fin; something like the DiveRite XT and not the Jet. That said I happen to dive exclusively jet fins and variants at this point, to conform to the standard @lexvil set.

When I flutter kick hard I do use the straight-legged freediving technique, it works well enough in jet fins but now I'm curious to swim some laps using the crappy oldschool technique to see how the jets feel in their actual design envelope.

Sorry to derail the original thread, but I think fin design and marketing is one of the most interesting and misunderstood facets of diving.
Remember the “standard” doesn’t necessarily mean the “BEST”

Right now I’m leaning toward Zeagle Recon as better for rubber fins and SP Super Nova as best all around light weight fin. :wink:

All this talk of “best” and free-diving fins reminds me of those easy going Dan Volker threads. “Best for me” works best for everyone.

All this talk of “best” and free-diving fins reminds me of those easy going Dan Volker threads. “Best for me” works best for everyone.
While I would never assume what’s best for me is best for everyone, mainly because obviously some people are defective. :cool:

Deep free divers and competitive finned swimmers typically use personally tuned fins.
I have already explained what follows several times: each human requires different fins.
There are three basic parametrs to tune:
1) angle between blade and sole (which depends on the ankle mobility)
2) length (which depends on the kicking style and speed)
3) stiffness (which depends again on kicking style and muscular strenght).
Some parameters are variable: improving the kicking style allows to use longer fins (more efficient, but only if kicked properly).
Training improves the muscular strength, allowing for stiffer fins. But it also makes the ankles to flex more, so you need to adjust the blade angle. Longly trained competitive swimmers end needing a positive angle (blade coming upwards instead of downwards, as required by novice finned swimmers).
Furthermore the fins need to be adapted to the gear; a free diver has no tanks and BCD, so has much less drag. A fully equipped scuba diver has much more gear, causing a lot of drag. Hence the fins must be optimised for a slower speed.
I own actually 4 pairs of fins, and I use those best suited for the task. My son also plays underwater hockey, so he has more fins than me. Some personally tuned for his legs...

Deep free divers and competitive finned swimmers typically use personally tuned fins.
I have already explained what follows several times: each human requires different fins.
There are three basic parametrs to tune:
1) angle between blade and sole (which depends on the ankle mobility)
2) length (which depends on the kicking style and speed)
3) stiffness (which depends again on kicking style and muscular strenght).
Some parameters are variable: improving the kicking style allows to use longer fins (more efficient, but only if kicked properly).
Training improves the muscular strength, allowing for stiffer fins. But it also makes the ankles to flex more, so you need to adjust the blade angle. Longly trained competitive swimmers end needing a positive angle (blade coming upwards instead of downwards, as required by novice finned swimmers).
Furthermore the fins need to be adapted to the gear; a free diver has no tanks and BCD, so has much less drag. A fully equipped scuba diver has much more gear, causing a lot of drag. Hence the fins must be optimised for a slower speed.
I own actually 4 pairs of fins, and I use those best suited for the task. My son also plays underwater hockey, so he has more fins than me. Some personally tuned for his legs...
IOW. What works best for you is great.

Back
Top Bottom