Jet Fin Alternative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove the OMS fins today for my first dry suit dive of the season. For me at least, these will NOT work. I had to go back to my broken hog fins. They were so light that I was always feet floaty and they felt weird doing a frog kick. I could not load up, and then the kick felt mushy. That will take some getting used to. I do like how light they are. I compared them to the hog and jets that were at the quarry and they are nearly identical in appearance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Between charters, boat work, and Sandy, I haven't even had a chance to try them yet. Hopefully soon.

Just when they come out with yellow Jet fins I determine that my drysuit boots want fins sin the deadband between XL and the much larger XXL. Just miss fitting inot the XL and XXL is said to be hoplessly too big.

Got a quick dive in yesterday. Would have been longer, but I was too lazy to shave, so my mask was leaking like a sieve. Guess I need to get my butt on the bike more to get my legs to where they used to be. As people have mentioned these fins are much stiffer than the Jets! They have tons of thrust, though, even the stubby ones I got. I'd say even more thrust than the Jets. Could be in part to being trimmed a little better, and a little more streamlined, due to the smaller sized fins. Anyway, I'm sold. My Jets are for sale.

Got a quick dive in yesterday. Would have been longer, but I was too lazy to shave, so my mask was leaking like a sieve. Guess I need to get my butt on the bike more to get my legs to where they used to be. As people have mentioned these fins are much stiffer than the Jets! They have tons of thrust, though, even the stubby ones I got. I'd say even more thrust than the Jets. Could be in part to being trimmed a little better, and a little more streamlined, due to the smaller sized fins. Anyway, I'm sold. My Jets are for sale.
I've noticed the monoprene blade on the Slipstream is a little stiffer than a Jet, but I don't really feel the extra stiffness in the water with two exceptions:

1) if exiting a high flow cave I do notice a not more pressure from the fin if it catches the flow and is pushed toward the knee, and

2) I think the Slipstreams back kick slightly better than the Jet Fins (which already have a strong reverse gear already) due to the stiffer blade.

A major difference for me also was the slightly wider foot pocket in the Slipstreams.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom