Jellyfish...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

artistdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey you guys! I'm hoping you can help me out. I just started diving back in May, and I haven't really had any jellyfish encounters or been around them yet. It sounds like they have been showing up recently around the boneyard. This may sound stupid, but how much of a concern is this? Obviously, it depends on the type of jellyfish, but I'm wondering, is it enough of a concern that I shouldn't go diving this weekend? Or, if you wear a wetsuit, are you pretty much ok? Is it common for this time of year? Should it keep me out of the water? Any tips or advice you can give would be great.

Thanks a bunch you guys! I hope you all have a great Labor Day weekend!

A dive skin and gloves will keep you mostly OK - There are also lycra hoods and mouth guards that you can slip over the reg mouthpiece. If you have all that stuff - you will be A-OK. I used to use these things this time of year around Pensacola when the jellies got nasty. Unless you are extra sensitive to these buggers, it's usually just painful when you get hit - also, sometimes there are jelly tentacles that come loose for whatever reason and zap you when you don't see any jellies - those are especially fun......

I would just dive :)

We've been seeing lots of Moon Jellies, which have very short tenacles and very mild sting. You just about have to rub 'em on you before they bother you. Seeing very few of the stinging nettles, which have much longer tenacles and a more pronounced sting. Take a small bottle of 50% vinegar and 50% water along in your dive bag. If you get a sting, splash a little on, repeat as needed and it should be no problem. Definitely don't stay home to avoid the jellies. Not enough of a nuisance to miss a day of diving.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com
drdive@drdive.com

Unless you're sensitive to the stings, they are just annoying. One recommendation though - don't wear a loose tshirt or baggy board shorts unless you've got underarmor or lycra under it. One floats in and gets smeared around and it is a little more than annoying.
...don't ask

I wear a dive skin and will start wearing gloves again.. I wear also a hood and capt Jamie calls me the smurfett. You saw me on the boat with full skin, now you know why. I am very sensitive to the stings. I will bear the marks for two weeks or so. They look like rope burns... (this is not open for commet!):footinmouth:
Last year I swam in the middle of them and I will tell you a good idea is NOT to make a lot of movement to get away from them. (like fanning them out of your way). Sometimes you will feel yourself being stung and not seeing the jellies around. These are some of the tentacles that have broken off from the jelly fish as well. I was told that sea turtles will eat them and I would think that is why some of the tentacles are in the water. Its always fun feeling the sting and not knowing what got ya.

Thanks for the input! I'll let the rope burn comment slide, but it sure is hard not to say something, lol! Thanks again. Hope to get out there and dive with you again very soon!!!

I agree with what is said. The moons are not a problem but you should take care with the others. The pieces of tentacles are also a result of boat traffic and spinning props chopping them up. It gets really bad in high traffic areas like Stump Pass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom