Japanese open fire on Sea Shepherd crew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All countries have their shames. It is the true patriot who seeks to correct them.
I don't think anyone has problems with Americans trying to correct problems in the US. :eyebrow:

I don't think anyone has problems with Americans trying to correct problems in the US. :eyebrow:

And I would love to hear what problems you think my country needs to correct. It is always helpful to hear foreign views unclouded by your own nation's biases. It is why I read Al Jazeera. It is why the mostly non-functional U.N. remains valuable. Gathering a wide array of viewpoints is essential to making good decisions. A lesson some Americans have learned all too well the past few years.

"Shark fins are really tasteless by themselves"
Then why the heck to they bother eating them?? :eek:

And I would love to hear what problems you think my country needs to correct. It is always helpful to hear foreign views unclouded by your own nation's biases. It is why I read Al Jazeera. It is why the mostly non-functional U.N. remains valuable. Gathering a wide array of viewpoints is essential to making good decisions. A lesson some Americans have learned all too well the past few years.
Better tasting beer! :p

I love this Chinese show!

Yep, this is true Chinese cuisine, as they say a few minutes in.

"Shark fins are really tasteless by themselves"
Then why the heck to they bother eating them?? :eek:

It is a prestige thing, it's very common as a course in a wedding banquet in China, along with suckling pig, grouper and other "high class" delicacies. I agree it has no taste, and I find the shark finning industry to be abhorrent... I now politely refuse this dish and explain my reasons why - as well as a quiet word to the bride and groom beforehand if I'm close enough to them.

I've never managed to get it stopped though - despite agreeing with me, most of them include it as their parents, relatives and guests expect it and their would be loss of prestige (face) by not including it. This seems to trump the cruelty aspect for most, sad as it seems to us.

There are substitutes which taste identical, look identical and are indistinguishable from the real thing - I wish people would use this instead - but as it is a lot cheaper there is a loss of "face" again by serving it.. and for most it is easier to go with the flow than shock their older relatives by brining up (in any way) animal cruelty at the happy event that is their wedding.

I don't live in the US so I can't really see what internal problems you might or might not have. I'm sure that just like everyone else you have plenty to work on though! :wink:

So America is involved in black man beating & policy brutality then? Same logic?

Yes...America is involved in that. That doesn't mean I'm saying that it's commonplace tradition, something we do every Saturday night. Again, I'm simply saying that it is something that happens that Japanese vessels have been involved in. Not sure if I can make my point clearer really.

I don't disagree with this at all.

My point was that the Japanese are not involved with shark finning, as Nature Diver seems to think they are.

So...I take it that since you seem to think that I'm making all of this up you have now watched the video that I have been posting about? No, I don't think you have. I don't "think" that the Japanese ship was in this video. I saw it. I didn't just shut my eyes for a few minutes while the tape was playing and imagine it. It was there, in color.

Why is it so hard to believe that they could be involved? I feel like I'm trying to argue evolution with a creationist here. They usually don't want to hear anything I have to say, regardless of how obvious it is if you allow yourself to see the evidence I am speaking of. Watch the video! I wish I had the equipment to put the footage online and show you. Even then, I'm not sure if you would believe it though.

So...I take it that since you seem to think that I'm making all of this up you have now watched the video that I have been posting about? No, I don't think you have. I don't "think" that the Japanese ship was in this video. I saw it. I didn't just shut my eyes for a few minutes while the tape was playing and imagine it. It was there, in color.

Why is it so hard to believe that they could be involved? I feel like I'm trying to argue evolution with a creationist here. They usually don't want to hear anything I have to say, regardless of how obvious it is if you allow yourself to see the evidence I am speaking of. Watch the video! I wish I had the equipment to put the footage online and show you. Even then, I'm not sure if you would believe it though.
One single example doesnt make "Japan involved with" anything.
A ship waving a japanese flag isnt even neccesarilly a japanese ship. The owner, captain and crew could be 100% eskimo for all you know even if the ships registered in Japan..

Back
Top Bottom