January 2013 Florida Springs Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mheaster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone interested in going to dive Florida Springs the long weekend January 2013 (01/17 - 1/21st) ? I am thinking about taking Thursday off work to drive down to High Springs, FL and Diving Friday, Saturday and Sunday and then Driving back on Monday. Diving possibilities are Ginnie Springs, Blue Grotto, Devil's Den, Troy Springs, Peacock Springs/Wes Skiles State Park depending on who goes and group consensus. Also possible is a side trip down to Crystal River to snorkel with Manatees and a Drift dive down Rainbow River.

We will develop a more specific agenda when we have better idea of who is going. Open water Check-Out Dives for Open Water Certification can also be accommodated.

These dives are all Open Water Friendly and additional options are available to Cavern Certified Divers. The features of this trip is a pretty consistent 72* F water temps and can be relatively inexpensive mid-winter diving.

We usually sleep cheap and eat WELL!

I will probably be going whether I get a larger group or not.

Please let me know right away if you have any interest at all and if you have any questions/suggestions!

I can't get the time off work to make it all the way to Florida Springs. However, Olympus Dive in Morehead City is running full-day trips on January 19th and 20th. I talked to them today and there is also room at the dive lodge for the weekend. I'm thinking that's about as far afield as I'll be able to make it on the three day weekend. As of today, the water temp is 60 degrees...

My sons and I were at Ginnie Springs the last of December. The water level at Ginnie is a bit down (the grate in the Ballroom was at 45 feet rather than the usual 55 feet) and the Santa Fe River is a garbage dump but diving the Ballroom at Ginnie was a lot of fun. The water temp was about thirty degrees above the air temp. We used 5mm wetsuits and did fine.

Did you drift dive Rainbow River?....You picked the perfect time to go if you did -- although always gorgeous, with no summer tourists trashing the place up it should have been super clear!

Did you drift dive Rainbow River?....You picked the perfect time to go if you did -- although always gorgeous, with no summer tourists trashing the place up it should have been super clear!

We didn't do Rainbow River this time but have done it several times in the past! It is the best 12' dive I've ever done!

Back
Top Bottom