Jamaica Negril Trip Report July 17-24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandPhantom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just got back from Beaches Negril. Was pleased overall and the staff at Beaches Negril were great. Diving was twice daily with reservation made the day before(get there at 8 since the boat will fill up fast). Dive times are 9:00 in the morning for deep dives, 11 for beginners, and 1 for shallow dive. Note: Pre-plan your trip and the activities in advance! Get there and knock out orientation and sign up for the required shallow dive the next day at 11. After that you sign up to dive on the following day, the day before. First come, first served!

*There was a post somewhere on here by someone who mentioned that DM's didnt have to do orientation. That is FALSE! It's apparently their policy to do this with all divers!!!!!

Most of everything was small but really nice. Dive Crew: Glen, Karen (sp?), Norm, and crew were great. Be sure to get there the day you arrive and knock out the pool requirement and schedule an 11:00 dive as these were required. Dives lasted between 21-39 minutes dependent on depth and other conditions.

Some of the things I saw: Dolphin on one dive. EEL, turtles, lobster, lion fish, octopus, fan coral, tugboat wreck, Squirrel fish, etc.....

The only thing that was a hassle was the slow down at Montego Bay due to some situation where some staff members offended someone(contract staff?) and they basically protested by moving slowly processing people. This was happening during in and out processing. When we got there it was a 2 hour bag drag. On the way out it was effortless so maybe they cleared up the issue.

The ride from Montego Bay to Negril was an adventure in itself!

They offer night dives at Negril for $80.00 and I could never get my schedule right to do it. But Divemon was there and they did a plane wreck dive which was cool.

I brought my own gear and just used their weights and tanks. Seals on the tanks were hit or miss. On the morning dive tank pressures were 3000-3500. On the mid-morning and afternoon you would see 2800-3200.

The resort was cool and the tours are pretty neat. If you want Cohiba's, go to time square and stock up. Resort prices were double. Nothing moves fast in Jamaica except the vehicles you are in. The people are friendly and their culture is really cool. My family and I loved it.

The only two negative things I can post are the airport in-processing from the slow down. The other was the drink issue while you are waiting. For some reason its really slow to even get water before you finish a meal. It would be really nice to have more dive time options since some divers may be with family or non-divers and the times conflict with other tours or activities. <----not a negative, just a comment.

Positives were plenty: Meals, drinks at the bar, grounds, staff friendliness, free room upgrades, tours, diving (although most creatures are small, was nice), activities, and beaches were exceptional! The resort is really nice and secure. The beach is really busy with powered vessels though so dont venture too far out.

Diving was done without a wetsuit since the water was really warm. It seemed to rain daily after 11 or so which presented some motivation to get in the water quickly to warm up.

We loved it!

That was fast.

Here are some additional comments from the poor cousin Beaches Sandy Bay resort.

If you stay here, know that the main operations are controlled by the Beaches Negril resort. In the event of difficulties, contact their watersports department. We had some difficulties and could not get the Sandy Bay desk person to call over to Negril. In the end, we ended up walking up the beach and speaking to the Negril people in person. If we hadn't have done this, we wouldn't have straighted out our problems. This kind of started the trip out on a negative note, but we were able to resolve the problem.

One of the problems was overriding the Sandy Bay desk persons insistance that we not do the morning deep dive as our first dive despite the fact that both my wife and I are teaching status instructors. In fact the desk person did not know that my MSDT card was an instructor level certification. Natalie at the Negril resort straightened everything out and we were able to make a total of 11 dives during our stay. Even though the resort is all inclusive, you still have to make reservations for the dives, so you're not guaranteed to be able to dive. Part of this is that the 11 am and 1 am dives are primarily Discover Scuba / Resort course divers.

The boat takes on only enough tanks for divers and staff that are scheduled to go on the dive. Many of the orings were not in the best of shape. You will need to check your individual tank to make sure yours is ok. I think this is a Jamaican supply issue. Bring an o-ring container. The tanks were pumped to normal standards. Occassionally you would get one over 3200 PSI.

Once in the water, I was pleasantly surprised that the dives were at least as good as the average dives that I have done in other parts of the Caribbean. The fish were generally not as large as those elsewhere, but there was quite a variety.

The dive to the tug boat is probably the second most enjoyable dive that I have ever done, the first being the freshwater hole off of Princess Cay in Eleuthria.

We did one night dive. Half way into the dive, the guide stopped to check our air. It turns out that we were about to enter a cavern. Although our maximum depth was only 55 ft, I would consider that dive one of the most extreme that I have been on. At one point, the three other divers attempted to enter the cavern opening at the same time. Between the night environment, the cavern, and the current, one of them could easily have lost it. I think they were all afraid of losing the guide when he entered. The situation was so absurd that I began taking pictures of the divers during this incident.

The guides/instructors/divemasters/captains were great.

As we generally made both the 9 am deep dive and the 11 am shallow dive, we spent the surface interval on the boat at the Negril resort eating pizza. During this time, the crew replaced the tanks for the next dive.

After the dives, we stored our gear in the inner watersports office at Sandy Bay. There were no security issues.

The watersports desk closes at 4:00 PM, so you will need to arrive well before that to register for the next day's dives.

Heard you both had rain, rain and more rain - you poor things, LOL. Negril is (in)famous for short thunderstorms in the afternoons, generally happening between 2-5pm. Quite different from what I heard you had.

I was there the week after you and have been going there for the last week of July for the last 16/17 years. I'm happy to hear that you both had a pretty good time, despite the hitches. I'm in total agreement that in general the dive staff is an excellent bunch. Actually, I would extend this, to all the staff. On our last night, we were the last ones in the restaurant and one thing led to another. It ended up with the waiters dancing and showing us their Michael Jackson moves - heaps of noise and hilarity. Further, on this trip, one of my daughters left her wet suit on the boat - Sandy Bay's rescue boat went over to B. Negril and retrieved it; wife left rattle in a BC, got it back. Last year, wife left dive comp - got it back.

Themons, the dive shops are connected by radio. I don't think Joyce at Sandy Bay would deliberately not contact B.Negril on your behalf. The radio system was probably down, as was the case during my week. During this time, I saw her calling B.Negril using her personal pre-paid cell phone.

I have some other observations but will do so in another post (my hunt and peck typing).

I forgot to mention a couple of things in my earlier post.

If you bring your own gear, make sure you have a mesh bag with shoulder straps. You will have to wade out to the boat in the water as there are no docks.

You will also need to bring a dry bag for your regulator. When we realized that we had to wade out, we held our regulators out of the water just in case the dust cap leaked. It was somewhat inconvenient and a couple of times, I think I submerged mine in the process of getting on the boat.

Joyce made us unnecessarily lose a whole day of diving, so she's not our favorite. Natalie from the Negril resort on the other hand was great. If I knew that Joyce wasn't going to follow through, one way or another, I could have gone up to the Negril resort in time to get in on the dives on our second day. At one point, she asked me if I was ok. When I responded no, she didn't even bother to ask me why. When Nicholas, the CS manager later asked me how I was doing, I let him know how irritated I was, but by then it was too late.

Jeffries was funny with his flip up fins. He is also the guy to swim with since he points out a lot of the picture moments to include a really small clown fish. I really loved Jamaica. Wish I was there now!

Here are some additional comments from the poor cousin Beaches Sandy Bay resort.

Once in the water, I was pleasantly surprised that the dives were at least as good as the average dives that I have done in other parts of the Caribbean. The fish were generally not as large as those elsewhere, but there was quite a variety.

Glad to hear your comment on quality. We went to Couples Negril in 2003, and then back in 2008, with plans to return in 2013 (okay, we were married there in 2003, and celebrate the even five-year anniversaries there). We were pretty disappointed in the diving in 2003, but could not believe the vast improvement in 2008. Our understanding is that there has been a lot more attention paid to reef management, and expect to see more improvement when we return.

Thanks for the report(s)!

Jaffrey and Normal pointed out the "loggerhead" fish at the end of our last dive on Friday. That really made the trip. I spent 10 minutes photographing that one fish. I'm not sure what its correct name is, but it looked like the alien that burst out peoples stomaches in the movie.

Attachments

• loggerhead.jpg
    loggerhead.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 274
That was pretty cool. I got the pics today. Where are the turtle pics?

Mike S - yes, paving completed.

themons - been trying to ID your fish. I think it could be a checkered puffer.

Now to a couple impressions.

Although Jamaica is not a recognised dive destination, this year there seemed to be a huge increase in divers. There was a group of boys (high school group?) with their instructor that spilled over into my week. One dive boat was pretty much dedicated to them. Maybe this group skewed my impression, so I checked with the DMs. The response was that they have been really busy for months with no let up. So much so, that, although entering a team in a Lionfish Hunt Competition (organised by Swept Away) earlier this year, they were too busy to participate. Seems to me that the 'Discover Scuba/Vacationers that Dive' and Negril (or is it just Sandals/Beaches) have found each other.

The other impression, unfortunately, was that the fish life was less than previous visits. I am hoping that this is just an odd year. However, I have lurking in my head the question "am I seeing the Lionfish effect"? Hope not, on my very first dive, Sands Club, I saw twelve.

Will see if I can post a couple pictures. No guarantee however as the last time I tried, I kept getting an error message.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom