Jamaica Negril Trip Report July 17-24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fixing/making a burrow is common among jawfishes, so I had a look. The picture of the Banded Jawfish in the Humann & Deloach could conceiveable be it?

Ok, finally managed to upload a couple pictures. If this works, Norman is in front of the plane.

Reefhugger:

Do people reliably get packages in Jamaica?

Jaffrey saw my LED light on our night dive and commented that I'd have to leave it behind when our trip was over. He was always there to help my wife on the boat. So when we got back, I sent two LED UKs to his address in Negril. One for him and one for Norman.

I haven't heard back from him, so I'm wondering if he ever got them.

Also, that group of teenage divers was from a recently formed dive club in Pennsylvania. The adult was a member of the school board who helped form the club. A couple of days after they were there, one of the kids did something so extreme that the adult immediately sent him packing. The word on the beach was that his one way that day ticket cost his parents $4000.

I believe that they should eventually get the package, unfortunately the 'parcel post' system has a standard of 'snail' all to themselves (I am assuming not Fedex, etc.). The process is heavy duty unwieldy. Not bothering to list all the steps, but it could take 6-8 weeks.

Although I've been going there forever and know all the DMs/instructors, the name Jaffrey does not ring a bell. I know them by first names or 'nicknames' (maybe Jaffrey is a surname?). Is he the one with the flip up fins, looking like a hockey goal keeper? If so, I know him as James.

Anyhow, I would suggest that you write two regular letters (7-14 days delivery) stating what you had done. I would send them both to Norman (my choice). One to his personal address and the other c/o Watersports Dept., Beaches Negril, etc.etc. On the envelope to the one for Beaches write 'Personal'. Just to let them know to expect the package.

If all else fails, I could try a local call for you, just let me know.

As to the kid sent home - Ouch! I think, however, that the chinese telegraph got to that story, LOL

Btw, I truly think what you did was excellent.

Everyone who flies Air Jamaica out of Negril, be aware of their tricks. Since there are 3 flights to US taking off almost at once around 4 pm, they overbook one or two of these flights if there is room in another. Then they will shuffle the passengers between flights. For example, they will sell 12 tickets to BWI and JFK over these flights capacity, then the last 12 passengers at the registration will be offered a choice of either flying to Philadelphia and then ride home in a shuttle bus, or staying the night at the hotel next to the airport at the AJ expense.

Air Jamaica is in a state of flux and could be trying to rationalise schedules/flights. Although still to operate as Air Jamaica, they have been taken over by Caribbean Airways (Trinidad). I would expect a bit of shuffling around as the transition period is still current.

Back
Top Bottom