Jamaica (Negril) questions: diving, food, expense, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may be in a situation in a few months where I "have to" dive in Jamaica as well. I've read some pretty dismal reports, unfortunately.

Is the coral dead and grayish for the most part? Or is it just absent a lot of fish?

If I'm staying in Montego Bay, should I try to get to Negril for diving, or will I get pretty much the same mediocre experience in either location?

bkotheimer,

I've been to Mo Bay, Ocho Rios, and Negril. But I've only dove in Negril and that was 9 years ago.... so what I'm saying was based on that.

The Coral was in pretty good darn shape then. Lots of color, etc. Now coral is different everywhere you go. You can even drive up the keys a little and find coral formations that are completely different. same there.

The coral was in good shape with lots of color. I had no complaints about the coral. It was in much better shape than the coral in Key West or a lot of the bahamas for example.

I will say they were absent a lot of fish. but there were plenty of fish there, just not as many as you would see say in the PROTECTED MARINE SANCTUARY of the FL Keys. I put that in caps so people would realize the difference. You're always going to see more fish in a protected sanctuary.

Should you drive to Negril to dive? Hard for me to answer that since I haven't dove in Mo Bay. But you should figure on it taking an hour to an hour and half easy (maybe more depending on road conditions). Jamacia is not known for it's "superior highway system". The roads are bad, curvy, etc. People in Jamaica seem to think they have the "right of way" regardless of if they do or not. It amazed me of the people who were walking in the road that wouldn't get out of the road when traffic passed, or even acknowledge there was traffic behind them. :shakehead:

Personally, I wouldn't do a daily drive from Mo'bay to Negril to dive. I'd either stay in Negril or dive in Mo'Bay if I was staying there. (but I'm saying that not knowing if the diving conditions in Mo'bay are that bad or not).

Thanks a lot for your answer.... we're going back next year and I'm glad not to hear anything negative about their operation. My wife doesn't dive.... and just hangs out reading a book on the beach. so the long surface/shore interval worked out fine for me.

Yeah... I won't mind a little more in dive sites..... but it was easy to live with.

The only thing we'll prob do next time is
1.) most likely not leave the resort
2.) won't get an oceanfront suite. just not worth it. even though it's the closest room to the beach, you really can't see much from the lower level room because of the divi type trees, etc.

Since we both dive, it does change the bias just a little. Once we're through diving, we like to kick back and relax, maybe with an adult beverage forced on us by the wait-staff.

Our bias is the oceanfront suites, but on no less than the second floor, and way down toward the east end (left side of the resort as you face the water?), overlooking the Natural Plunge Pool, among other things :)eyebrow:). Plus Diane loves the bath tub in the suites.

And even if your wife doesn't dive, it might be worth it to do at least one day with Sun Divers.

I may be in a situation in a few months where I "have to" dive in Jamaica as well. I've read some pretty dismal reports, unfortunately.

Is the coral dead and grayish for the most part? Or is it just absent a lot of fish?

If I'm staying in Montego Bay, should I try to get to Negril for diving, or will I get pretty much the same mediocre experience in either location?

My understanding, with regard to diving in Jamaica, is that Negril is the best on the island. If you don't have to stay in MoBay, and have discretion, book Negril.

We've been there twice, once in 2003 and then again in 2008. Not really impressed in '03, but there was measurable improvement in '08. Our understanding is that there are some management practices underway in the Negril area that are contributing to the return of the reefs.

Our bias is the oceanfront suites, but on no less than the second floor, and way down toward the east end (left side of the resort as you face the water?), overlooking the Natural Plunge Pool, among other things :)eyebrow:). Plus Diane loves the bath tub in the suites.

by plunge pools are you talking about the natural ponds they have as part of their water system, or a different pool?

we stayed in a 1st floor oceanfront suite on the far other end of the property. It overlooked the nude beach. While that might seem neat at first.... I quickly learned that most nudists are people in their 50's or 60's that should not be on the beach nude! :rofl3: Luckily it was a "slow week" and we didn't have to endure that view more than about once or twice! :rofl3:

Yeah... my wife really loved the tubs in the suites. If you go back, see what brand they are! she really liked the pulsing waterjet in that terry-cloth cover that you leaned your neck against.

anyway... that tub was the only reason she wanted to get a suite. the fully stocked all inclusive bar in the suite was quite nice also.

Just be sure not to feed wild animals... Cats included

so here are the dives sites around Couples in Negril. for the previous person who was asking.

Couples is right below the U shaped buildings right across from the air strip. Yes that small straight piece of asphalt is an airstrip where they fly flights in. It's either 1800ft or 2200ft and one of the quickest stops I've done in a plane! :rofl3:

you can see the reefs out in the water... but this they are far from shore (over 100-200 yards) and in water too deep to really snorkel in. I'd say 25 to 60 feet or more.

the water there can be REALLY clear. last time I was there you could see the bottom from the boat in 95' of water.

234409245_22929ad27a.jpg

by plunge pools are you talking about the natural ponds they have as part of their water system, or a different pool?

we stayed in a 1st floor oceanfront suite on the far other end of the property. It overlooked the nude beach. While that might seem neat at first.... I quickly learned that most nudists are people in their 50's or 60's that should not be on the beach nude! :rofl3: Luckily it was a "slow week" and we didn't have to endure that view more than about once or twice! :rofl3:

Yeah... my wife really loved the tubs in the suites. If you go back, see what brand they are! she really liked the pulsing waterjet in that terry-cloth cover that you leaned your neck against.

anyway... that tub was the only reason she wanted to get a suite. the fully stocked all inclusive bar in the suite was quite nice also.

We like that end of the resort (notwithstanding the alleged "nude" beach), as it is away from the main pool area, and a little quieter. The plunge pool is the natural fresh water one, just below the outdoor wedding chapel.

I couldn't find anything extraordinary about the tub in the suite, either, but a cold beer after getting dropped off following a dive, without having to wade (pun intended) past all the drunks at the Pool Bar, has its merits.

:cool2:

I haven't been to Negril, only MoBay, so I can't offer any advice on the area.

However: BRING CASH! I wish someone had told me that our resort didn't have an atm. We had to bribe our cab driver on an "offsite" trip to stop at an atm. And if you go to an open air flea market they don't want your check or credit cards.

I'm sure there is an atm at the airport, but I don't know what the fees are.

Have an amazing time!

I wouldn't use your credit card at the "flea market" shops even if they did take them....

you're just asking for a stolen credit card number that way.....

there is a small compound of duty free shops near the resorts in Negril. had no problems using a credit card at those stores and wasn't too worried about number theft there. (only used it at the jewelry store.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom