JAlbum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TedJ

Contributor
Reaction score
In Severna Park, on the Magothy River just north o
Simon and a couple of others have mentioned JAlbum so I thought I'd post the test I'm running on using it. Click on the link below. It uses mouseovers as well as if you click on an image on the left then when it appears you can click on the camera to see the EXIF data. Let me know what you think. I know some of you have seen it already and I'm trying to make some changes to allow the EXIF data to stay showing.

http://w3.mivlmd.cablespeed.com/~tjanssen/small test/

Any comments. The photos were taken in Curacao this past September.
TedJ

I like the EXIF mouseover like Gilligan uses. Is that what you're working on? I didn't find any exposure info at all.

On your site, I'd like it better if the thumbnail opened into a full screen photo or at least 800x640. Your mouseovers are neat but with the thumbnail and large mouseover shot on the same page, it's too busy. Too crowded to allow for a bigger photo. It's a great idea but I think you need more pages.

I like it! Your shots are gorgeous! WOW.

Dee once bubbled...
I like the EXIF mouseover like Gilligan uses. Is that what you're working on? I didn't find any exposure info at all.

Dee, if you click on one of the thumbnail images on the first page it opens a second page with only the full image. On that page there is a camera icon, which if you click it will show the EXIF data, including, f-stop and speed. Does this not show up for you?

On your site, I'd like it better if the thumbnail opened into a full screen photo or at least 800x640.

It should do that as noted above.

Your mouseovers are neat but with the thumbnail and large mouseover shot on the same page, it's too busy. Too crowded to allow for a bigger photo. It's a great idea but I think you need more pages.

Let me think about this one.
TEdJ

Aloha Ted,
First off I like the pics.
I like the background and the little camera icon for the EXIF data. At first I was a little confused by the mouseover on the thumbnails not realizing you could click on the thumbnail to see the pic on a separate page. All in all I like the setup. The only thing I would change is not having the mouseover to show pic on the same page. It sort of spoils seeing it by itself on a separate page. But maybe I'm just used to the thumbnail pages on my own site.
:)

I didn't realize you could click on the photos to get the larger one. The mouseover on the thumbs made me think that was all there was. I really like the navigation buttons to go to the next photo, not having to go back to the thumbs first. Good Job! The EXIF info is cool, too.

The only nit picky thing I would change is, like Gilligan said... change the first page to just the thumbnails.

Very nice!

I am not a photographer but I like it the way it is. Especially that the EXIF data isn't in a popup (sorry Gilligan but I find it distracting).

And I like the mouseover effect. Maybe its because I am not a photographer and not used to proof sheets.

Anyway, I like it the way it is -- my 2cents...

RJ

Ok one minor comment. you need to label the subjects :rolleyes:

These look great TedJ...nice pics and great job :)

http://www.simonandmerith.com/jalbumtest/index.html

Have also been playing around with JAlbum, and have managed to get it to automate a great deal of what I want, including the EXIF info as a pop-up (many thanks to Gilligan for showing me the way). The process is not quite perfected yet, but am getting there. Have also added a drop-shadow, which was done post JAlbum using a little photoshop action I created. This only really works on a white background though.

Like many people here, I have admired Gilligan's EXIF info pop-ups for a while now (as well as his great photos). JAlbum is the only package I can find that allows the EXIF variables to be written to the web page, so that you can view them in a variety of different ways. The ability to add additional values, such as camera housing and location is also very useful. The one odd thing though is that I can't seem to get ISO information from the pics...need to look into this more.

Happy to share my JAlbum templates with anyone once I have them in a format I am really happy with.

Let's see.

Two votes by Gilligan and Dee for thumbnails only on first page with mouseover leading to second page. Keep second page as is. One vote by Simon for a slight variation.

One vote by rjens for better labeling, seconded by Barbara.

Simon, I don't have the ability to do all the html but you're going down the same road I am except I like the black background.

You're not getting the EXIF data may be as a result of saving the files in a format that is not lossless. What are your steps in dealing with the images from the camera forward?

Thanks all, as you know I'm just experimenting and I appreciate all the comments. We all learn this way.
TEdJ

Think you are right TedJ...my post camera processing has in the past not preserved the EXIF information. I guess now that I have a way of displaying the info, as well as a copy of Photoshop 7, I will have to make sure that I preserve the EXIF on all photos.

Looks like we are getting there though :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom