Jacksonville - End of May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

solasassn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm coming down to Jacksonville from NYC the last weekend in May for a wedding. It's been too long since my last dive, so I'm thinking of coming down a few days earlier to fit something in. Reading through the forums, it sounds like the springs are the best option, would you guys agree?

If so, any recommendations on which one? It seems like Ginnie Springs is the most popular, but I've read about Blue Grotto and Devils Den among others?

Also, I will be alone for the diving part of my trip? Do the operations at the springs usually run groups or should I be looking for a dive buddy? Any interest for Wed 5/27 - Fri 5/29?

Thanks.

There will be offshore charters running full steam by then.I have dove most of the springs solo or with an instabuddy.

I live in Gainesville and still new to the springs. I have done Devil's den and enjoyed it. Different experience and fun for sure if you haven't done springs before. Kind of like a entry entry cave dive...no overhead barrier but feel like you are sort of in cave.
I could buddy up with you one of those days you are in town, but it seems like you could find one easily at most springs as diving them is popular. IM me or reply as it gets closer.

Glad I came across this post. My wife and I will be there that week also, looking to get into the water as its very difficult with two very young kids to make the trips we used to. Hadn't found those places in all my searches and they look awesome!

Looks like the links got removed, thats a shame. But anyway we made the drive from Jacksonville to Devil's Den, not a bad drive about 1:50 or so. They sure don't let you in there for free, it was $120 for me and the wife, the only gear we needed was tanks and a BCD for her. If we had more time I would have rented from a local shop, maybe that would have saved money.

The water is pretty cold, 72 degrees. If you don't go in the side caves max depth is about 30-40 foot so we got cold long before we ran out of air. Not really much to see, but the fresh water fish were cool since it was our first time diving fresh water. We weren't picky though, justed wanted to drop in somewhere this year since doing so is really hard with a baby and a toddler. Living in the midwest doesnt help either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom