Jacksonville Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
water temp is 54 F at the moment, two degrees warmer
than last week. with the sunshine we've been getting,
temps should be in the mid-sixties by the middle of April,
or late April at the latest.

Off-shore Jax dive season is almost upon us!

How far offshore for decent diving? Any beach dives? I haven't been salty in years, and I have much family in Gainesville, so I could easily drop by there for some diving, maybe even on the way in or out for no extra driving. (I come down I-95 anyway.)

the dive outfits will take you about 10-12 miles offshore, in about 70-90 feet
of water. it's about an hour boat ride. lots of soft corals, hydroids, sponges.
excellent wrecks and nice ledges (limestone "reefs"), with LARGE fish.

no beach diving, unfortunately. i think the closest to here is the North Jetty in
Daytona, and I've heard it can get dangerous with currents and fishing going on.

costs are $75 to $90 for two-tank dives, depending on the outfit. check my site
for specifics (yes, pricey, but little competiton).

What temps do you get up to in the heady times of the summer? Low-mid 70's? Is a reasonable part of that boat ride just getting out of Jax? From what i saw of the place on a drive through there was a port, but i couldnt really see the ocean for a few miles.

mid 70's to low 80's near the surface, low 70's at the bottom, depending on thermocline conditions.

the hour is from the Mayport Jetty's on out (i.e. the "real" boat ride). depending on who you go with, the total boat ride is between one and a half hours and two hours, each way.

That would explain the costs for gas!!

How many typically go in those boats around you? What is the minimum that are taken out to make it worthwhile? If you are going that far out for that long, wouldnt it be just as well to try a 3 tank trip? Do they run those??

Also just south of where you are is St Augustine and Daytona, how are they for simliar diving offshore? We were wondering if it was worth spending the time going up there by car rather than down to the SE??

H2Andy:
water temp is 54 F at the moment, two degrees warmer
than last week. with the sunshine we've been getting,
temps should be in the mid-sixties by the middle of April,
or late April at the latest.

Off-shore Jax dive season is almost upon us!

Ok, this summer Ill have to get over your way. Keep us updated on when your diving and Ill try it make it over from Tallahassee once it gets warmer.

Gee, I'm looking at relocating my business from Wisconsin to Northern Florida. Although I'll miss world class wreck diving in Lake Michigan the water temps in Florida are really something to look forward to. We used to swim all day in lake Michigan with NO exposure protection in 65 degree water. 70 degree bottom temps are hot. I may have to sell off my dry suit! Dang, can't wait!

Jim

SwimJim:
I may have to sell off my dry suit! Dang, can't wait!

Jim
Don't be too quick to get rid of it. A year after being down here, your body has adjusted to the climate, and suddenly the mid 70's will have you freezing.....
There are claims that your blood thins out...and with the high humidity...well, its just different down here...

I hear hear you Jenny. When my sister was in the Navy she served near Monterey California, then six years in Hawaii and then a few more years in California again. I seem to remember her telling me that she didn't think she could handle a winter time trip to Wisconsin anymore. This is the same person who went swimming in the ocean off Adak Alaska during her first hitch. I've been diving cold water since 1978. Frankly my concern is with handling the heat topside. Instead of dealing with weeks of sub zero no humidity conditions, it will be weeks of nineties and high humidity. Quite the change. I'm looking forward to the challange though. Maybe I'll see you down there sometime. ( ;

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom