Taveuni: Paradise vs. Taveuni Dive Resort vs. Nakia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not surprised to see it for sale. The owners, Terri and Allan, are getting divorced. They are from Australia. When I was there in March & April, the nondive staff seemed stressed, sometimes just going through the motions of their job. For the most part, the men had dive shop jobs, and the ladies worked in the restaurant and around the resort. Another guest told me that she saw the ladies being verbally mistreated.

An interesting note about the real estate ad...the property was not built in 2016. It was rebuilt in 2016 after Cyclone Winston leveled the property.
Yikes. That's not good. Sad to see, as from everything I've read it's been a great resort until just recently.

I know it got leveled along with pretty much everything else during Winston. I've chatted with the owners of TDR a lot and know that they decided to build uphill of the road and use concrete construction expressly for the storms since they seem to get a really nasty cat 4-5 one every 10 years or so. I think they just had some minor damage and a lot of branches/trees down at the same time Paradise got wiped off the face of the earth by Winston. The tradeoff of course is that it's a 3-5 minute walk down the hill to/from the boat every morning. They're also planning on opening a sunset bar down by the jetty/boats at some point, since they recently acquired that land down there that the school used to sit on. Maybe it'll be open by the time forthecookies goes there.

Yikes. That's not good. Sad to see, as from everything I've read it's been a great resort until just recently.

I know it got leveled along with pretty much everything else during Winston. I've chatted with the owners of TDR a lot and know that they decided to build uphill of the road and use concrete construction expressly for the storms since they seem to get a really nasty cat 4-5 one every 10 years or so. I think they just had some minor damage and a lot of branches/trees down at the same time Paradise got wiped off the face of the earth by Winston. The tradeoff of course is that it's a 3-5 minute walk down the hill to/from the boat every morning. They're also planning on opening a sunset bar down by the jetty/boats at some point, since they recently acquired that land down there that the school used to sit on. Maybe it'll be open by the time forthecookies goes there.
Let's hope! I will be there in late April of 2025.

Holy crap, we leave today for Paradise. I hope everything is okay...Hopefully they keep their commitment to their guests.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom