Jackass crew to give up? (Steve Irwin/shark incident)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not certain how this ties in, but it's in here somewhere. A news article today reported that a free-diver died while spearfishing a goliath grouper. The big fish, after being speared, retreated into a crevice. The line wrapped around the diver's wrist, and he was unable to disengage himself or pull the grouper from the hole. The diver was found entangled in the line with the grouper still in the crevice.
I suppose the link lies in a person dying while doing something they loved. It's still tragic. However, while I'm certain the stunt people on "Jackass" love what they do, it somehow feels different from what Steve and the spearfisher did. I'm certain there will be those who disagree, but to me it does feel as if there is a fundamentally different attitude than setting up dangerous and admittedly foolhardy stunts.

Nice article, those guys are crazy.

I completely agree that the name fits the show, although I must admit to having laughed at some of their stunts. (Cant think of any that involved animals)

I did find this quote hilarious... "You can't let that consequence influence your thinking."

On a side note, I know what you mean about an animal becoming labeled as a killer. They are now finding stingrays with the tails chopped off that have been hunted down in retaliation for Steve. I would guess, not what he would have wanted.

Josh

Guba:
I'm not certain how this ties in, but it's in here somewhere. A news article today reported that a free-diver died while spearfishing a goliath grouper. The big fish, after being speared, retreated into a crevice. The line wrapped around the diver's wrist, and he was unable to disengage himself or pull the grouper from the hole. The diver was found entangled in the line with the grouper still in the crevice.
I suppose the link lies in a person dying while doing something they loved. It's still tragic. However, while I'm certain the stunt people on "Jackass" love what they do, it somehow feels different from what Steve and the spearfisher did. I'm certain there will be those who disagree, but to me it does feel as if there is a fundamentally different attitude than setting up dangerous and admittedly foolhardy stunts.

Here is a link to the article about the free diver: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20396880-401,00.html

<<somehow it feels different>>

Somehow it feels different?! These bone heads were chumming up sharks, then sticking a fish hook through the cheek and jumping in the water. Unfortunately there were no Darwin awards handed out.

Jackass and Steve Irwin?! There's nothing remotely similar in those two terms.

Shasta_man:
<<somehow it feels different>>

Somehow it feels different?! These bone heads were chumming up sharks, then sticking a fish hook through the cheek and jumping in the water. Unfortunately there were no Darwin awards handed out.

Jackass and Steve Irwin?! There's nothing remotely similar in those two terms.

Jackass and real stuntmen.....There's nothing remotely similar in those two terms. the one profesional stuntman I've met in my life spent an hour describing how they place safety above the stunt....contrary to what the Jackass crew does. Now he could be the odity.

Not sure if its been said but I think its a PR stunt.

Makes the movie like the last chance to see them perform.

I guess nobody noted that the Jackass crew said they are not even on the same level as Irwin. Those guys remind me of "some" of the stuff I did as a kid. I do think they have some serious issues and are a little too into pain.

Scubabum2

I do understand where you're comming from but there are those who say Irwin was asking for it and I haven't seen too many people paint stingrays as evil. I personally do not think he was asking for it. I think he had an intense love for the wild and could somehow connect on a level your average person could not understand. The Jackass crew will die or be crippled one day if they keep it up. You can only do that stuff so long before the law of averages gets you. I think people will realize that jumping on a sharks diner plate is stupid and they will see it for what it is. Those who can't see that are not worth the breath to convince otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom