J-Valve question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeorgeC:
One issue worth considering is the diver thinks the J-Valve is in the up (reserve) position when in actuality it is in the down (non-reserve) position. The valve or rod could have been inadvertently turned by snagging or just simply forgetting what is the correct position for reserve.

While underway the diver may not look at his SPG for whatever stupid reason thinking he has yet to feel the resistance of the low gas on the J-Valve. When the diver feels the resistance of the low air he goes to pull the J-Vave rod and realizes it is already in the non-reserve position. Panic sets in and who knows what is next.

Just a hypothetical…I realize it is a stretch for the diver not to look at his SPG until he is at 500 or so psi

Just as one frequently checks the SPG the J valve diver should also check J valve position with the same frequency. It's not set it and forget it.

I got rid of my last J-valve sometime around 1969. Some guys were landing on the moon so I figured maybe it was time to retire them. If they work for you, more power to you. Every now and then, I still see an Edsel on the road too.
Don't want one of them either.

captain:
Just as one frequently checks the SPG the J valve diver should also check J valve position with the same frequency. It's not set it and forget it.

Checking your J-valve with the same frequency as you check your SPG makes a diver want to use a K-Valve.

Back
Top Bottom