J-Valve question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spankey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
who knows when or if they have stoped making J-Valve's?

and does anyone know if you can/could get J-Valve's that you could set to a different pressure reserve. I know the standard was 50 bar/735 psi in reserve, but I was wondering if anyone every came across ones that could be set or adjusted.

I don't know of any made now. I never recall any that came in at 735 psi either. Most I am familair with came in at 300 psi. You can adjust them by changing the spring tension on the reserve. Take one apart and then you will see how they work. N

Nobody makes J Valves anymore. Get yourself an air-integrated computer that has a really obnoxious beep when you reach your "reserve" pressure. i.e. one of the Aladin models.

they still make and use J valves in the Goteborg Poseidon factory in Sweden. Aparently they have laws requireing their use. They make a modular valve that you can customise the configuration on, contact them about the J valve option

scubapro used to make a DCAR valve-depth compensated adjustable reserve valve..you were able to change reserve from around 300 psi to 600 psi and the deeper you went the more reserve you had..

The real question is...why would you want one?

SparticleBrane:
The real question is...why would you want one?

If you DID want one, I have a US Divers J valve I could sell you for $10 shipped. :) I think shipping would be at most $8.10 (flat rate USPS), and that is without the stick you pull, not sure if I can get that in the small flat rate box I have.

Though once, I saw a cool picture of a J valve cut in half so you could see how it worked, that was nifty.

If memory serves me:
  1. You can change the spring in any of them.
  2. 300 and 500 psi were standard.
  3. The ScubaPro DCAR was a "Depth Compensated Automatic Reserve" which provided either 300 or 500 PSI (depending on the spring) over ambient.

Considering that most J valves don't just shut off at 300 or 500 or whatever psi but slowly restrict the air flow the Scuba Pro depth compensated reserve was more advertising hipe . At 100 feet ambient pressure is about 44 psi so if 300 psi is the start of the closing point it would be 256 psi above ambient at 100 feet. Not that significant a difference considering a 5000 psi SPG can easly be + or - 50 psi off with a 1% error which is considered normal in any gauge other than a high presision test gauge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom