It's Torture, I tell ya...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Note to self, don't dive with FredT.

I'm fat all over :D (not just calves and forearms), and female, and I use a skin under my wetsuits. Trust me, it makes donning the wetsuit MUCH easier.... and no sweating, contortionism, or cursing is needed to make it fit! Spend the $40 or $50 on a skin, you won't be disappointed.

By the way, I forgot to mention... the lycra skin is sooo thin you won't even notice it as an extra layer.

With heavy tight fitting wet suits or semi-dry, the trick is to roll rather than slide.
Start with the wet suit the right way then turn it almost inside out but leaving about 8" at the extremities of the legs and arms the right way. Cover your foot or arm with a plastic bag as others have stated and push it through the opening. It will slide in easily with the bag. Then just roll the suit up the arm or leg in question.
When I first got my tight fitting 7mm semidry it used to take me about 20 minutes to get into it and I would be exhausted before the dive. After working on this technique I can get it on in about 4 minutes ready for someone to zip me up across the back.

Hey Trucker babe!! As I kibbitzed about on another thread, when will the industry realize not all of us babes are pencil sized...The bag trick does work. just don't forget not to put them on too far up your arms... I'll show you pictures of how funny it looks to not be able to pull the bags out of the wetsuit...

Oh and muscular calfs are what you need for finning!! I have muscular calves also and can understand the wetsuit issue!

Go down to the dive shop and try putting on a hyperstretch type.

It's easy on because it's so stretchy. It then keeps you as warm as possible because it has a snug fit. Try it before you dismiss it out of cost reasons.

Slip it on a minute or two and you're done.

They are night and day, literally, from the rigid rental suits we've tried in the past.

i have'em in all three flavors: 3, 5, and 7MM.

DON'T buy the gold core suit because it is just as difficult to get on though it might keep you a little warmer.

I heard somewhere that getting the correct size wetsuit helps. I tried this years ago and it WORKS!

I was astounded. It was so simple. No more struggling, fighting, sweating, swearing, pulling, pushing.

It's a Bare 7mm Arctic XL full suit. The most amazing thing. I'm 6'2", 235#, 45" chest, large thighs, large calves, large forearms.

I also heard that a Henderson Hyperstretch is even better. I tried a 7mm of a friends in a Large. Too small says I. Not to worry says he.

Lo and behold, it slid on and fit great. I were impressed.

I done gotta get me one o' them thar Hyper stretchy thingies.

I use the hair conditioner 50/50 mix with a 9/7/6 Xcel semidry and it makes donning the wetsuit much easier. My problem is priming it with sweat before I make it to the water!

The trick with the plastic garbage bag sounds like something I'll have to try...god knows it's a pain and a half in my arse getting myself into a wetsuit. And I've got plenty of those little bags stashed in a kitchen drawer too. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom