It's Torture, I tell ya...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL! Oh my! I've tried changing in a car before and it's not easy so I feel your pain, and I wasn't wet at the time!

I'm going to spend a lot of time on SB today looking at all the hints and tricks for getting into wetsuits. It was a bad enough experience in the confines of the locker room all by myself. I don't know if I can handle going through that in front of other people. There must be an easier way!!

I used to dive with a woman who also dreaded the whole experience of changing into a wetsuit in a public place. I used to be a makeshift changeroom for her. I had to stand there for what seemed an eternity with my arms fully outstretched holding a huge beach towel. I'm sure people watching from a distance thought I was some kind of lunatic playing Batman with a makeshift cape :wink:

Dave

I've done the shimmy, twist, roll behind a strategically placed outstreched towel, car door, and the woods! Boy, did the animals get a funny show!

The entertainment value did make it worthwhile at times. Of course I got a lot slaps to the head for the grins and laughs.:D

Dave

Two beach towels sewn together with a neck hole and two armholes makes a great apre dive garment and changing room.

cork2win:
Dear God that experience was almost enough to make me say "forget it, I'll do my checkouts by referral on vacation". At least that way I wouldn't have had to endure all this torture! Sheesh!! I sure hope my Henderson Hyperstretch gets here tomorrow and that it's easier to deal with than that darn rental suit!!

After the Wife and I's checkout dives earlier this year in the 7mm john/jackets/hood, we were certain that they were either hazing us, or using it as a weed-out factor to see if we could take it or not. 3XL x 7mm == a lot of lead as well - we were both overweighted as well, with 30+ lbs on each of us. Thankfully we were able to borrow the DUI W&T's which helped a lot. In any case, between the suit, ambient temperature, and weight, SWMBO had a minor panic attach before hitting the water, and I wasn't in such a great mood either which didnt' help.

Needless to say, our first gear purchases after certification were suits - 5mm hyperstretch + core warmers -- best gear purchase so far for us. Being comfortable drastically improved our diving experiences, and being able to buy stuff off the rack that actually FIT was nice. I can certainly see why the shop uses the 2-piece suits to give more flexibility in fitting, and 7mm is not uncalled for the local quarry where they do checkouts, but it sure made the day interesting. Unfortunately for the LDS, we ended up getting suits at a different LDS who actually had things in stock for us to try on, and that was selling them for a more reasonable price than simple "MSRP".

Wife has since acquired a normal (pocketed) weight belt from the LDS where we trained and likes it better than the W&T, but my lack of hips and butt means I'll probably be ordering the DUI W&T soon, and they'll get the order even at MSRP since they were the ones who introduced me to the product.

Good luck!

Thalassamania:
Two beach towels sewn together with a neck hole and two armholes makes a great apre dive garment and changing room.
Most of the folks around here use a big boat coat. Works pretty well. Being male, I do just fine with changing under an oversized beach towel, held loosely around my waist.

For the truly phobic, they make pop-up changing cabanas that aren't terribly expensive.

-Kalani

occy:
You know, there IS an easy way: just change clothes. Who cares if your butt is showing?

We're all adults here, aren't we?

:thumb: Atta girl :D

Dave

occy:
You know, there IS an easy way: just change clothes. Who cares if your butt is showing?
obviously you haven't seen my butt... :) some things are just better left covered...

occy:
We're all adults here, aren't we?
I'm not so sure about that... :)

Back
Top Bottom