It's quiet in here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What size doubles are you carrying? I can barely make it up boat ladders with my single tank and wieghts right now. The drysuit makes me carry some pounds. We are UP TO 39 F here. Makes the dives challenging and I am the only girl braving it right now, heck most of the guys arent out yet

I started with LP 72s, but couldn't trim them out (still can't). Now I'm diving LP 85s. They're heavy -- No doubt about it. And if the boat ladder isn't made the right way (steps too far apart, or nothing to hang onto above me) somebody's going to have to grab the manifold and help haul me up. But most of the time I can manage pretty much by myself.

When I started diving, I couldn't get out of the pool with an Al63 on my back, so schlepping gear has made me stronger. I can say that, because I've never had the discipline to hit the gym to do it. This is all from lugging gear!

I just ordered myself a pair of LP 85's. I am planning on diving them as singles for 2-3 mos. until I get used to the weight, then double them up & it all starts again. Like TS& M I started with Al63's, then to AL 80's & each time had problems handleing them at first. Then with time I adjust & move on to what's next. I have decided to do steels because with my drysuit, I have to wear about 32# of lead. Hopefully with the steels I can shed some of the #'s. I am planning on slowly going into Techncal diving, but want to take things in steps & not overwhelm myself.

Yes, going slowly has been my focus, too. That's why it will have taken me almost two years from the time I decided I wanted to take a cave class, til the time I actually get there to do it. One step at a time, really have that one mastered, then take the next step. Apparently, this is a very female way to approach things, at least according to an article on female tech divers in Quest magazine a year or so ago.

My HP100's are about 40# each the same as TSandM's LP85s. Add the bands, manifold, backplate, rings, buckle, retainers, and on paper it can start to appear daunting.

I don't notice the weight being the big issue since I grew up throwing hay bales and sails around. Looking back I guess Dad was a real women's libber, as the girls had to stack hay, haul wood, and drag sails around just like the boys. For me it has been more about making sure the harness fits properly so my arms don't go numb and completing valve drills with short arms. I will confess I can't pick up my husbands set of 119's from the ground, but if at waist level I can tote them to and from the car and shop. The 119s are around 51# per so I can feel OK that I can't just throw up 115 odd pounds onto my shoulder.

If you dive enough you won't even notice the weight, your body adapts and builds muscle quite nicely. :)

I'm just about ready to twin up my HP100s, and I'm always happy to read about other women diving doubles. I'm moving slowly down the tech road, too, wanting to really nail buoyancy and trim this year.

shoredivr:
I I'm moving slowly down the tech road, too, wanting to really nail buoyancy and trim this year.

Same here. I am currently taking an Adv. Nitrox & deco class. I did the class room & pool work a month & a half ago. I will hopefully start diving in about 3 weeks (crazy work schedule). I Have 1 week to dive the cold waters before heading down to the Bahamas for a week. I will tinker around with my trim in a BP/W & a single for a while & then move on to the doubles later in the summer. I'll probably do the Adv. Nitrox in singles & move to doubles later. I will also hopefully be taking a Dive master course starting in Aug. So I have a busy summer ahead of me.

So, I'm still planning on taking TSandM up on her invite to try out the doubles...but it's nice to know that I wasn't the only wimpy one when I first started diving. And since heavy weight lifting has now been shown to help with bone density in older women, maybe at age 40-something all women should start diving doubles.

I'm not going to have the prep time this year for it...as Dive for the Cure is totally absorbing all of my time...but my 2008 goal is to be twinned up. HP80's...

Cindy,

You know you are also welcome to borrow my 80's any time you want, even if it's in 2008...... :D

FYI, I have one girl who came in and got a DFC packet.

So when shall the 3 of us head out and go diving? I didn't get to dive at all this weekend and am totally jonesing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom