Italy, restaurant fined

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is hilarious that the undated publicity photo in the article, the one with the lobster on some rocks and shells, is a RED lobster.

A red lobster is a dead lobster.

I am laughing out loud.

Jeff

some kind of fish in Japan are put on ice, sort of hibernate, then get put on this special cutting board, screwed down through the gills and carved into sushi at the table, still writhing. i think...I read it in The Havana Room.

catherine96821:
some kind of fish in Japan are put on ice, sort of hibernate, then get put on this special cutting board, screwed down through the gills and carved into sushi at the table, still writhing. i think...I read it in The Havana Room.
I read your initial post about this in another thread and found it most curious so I asked my Japanese friend about it. Here's her response:

"I don't understand what carving sushi means. Is she talking about IKEDUKURI? (a whole live fish served sliced as sashimi) 'a live fish that is screwed onto the cutting board' probably means a part of how to cut & clean eel. Eel restaurants SCREW eel onto the cutting boad. That's true. At Sushi restaurant, they don't screw fishes. Sushi cheff need to prepare pieces of fishes beforehand. low, boiled, baked, seasoned, there're varieties of preparation. Few Japanese restaurants handle live & fresh fishes and cut live fish on the cutting board. There are some tiny fishes which we eat alive. I haven't tried, though."

annasea:
I read your initial post about this in another thread and found it most curious so I asked my Japanese friend about it. Here's her response:

"I don't understand what carving sushi means. Is she talking about IKEDUKURI? (a whole live fish served sliced as sashimi) 'a live fish that is screwed onto the cutting board' probably means a part of how to cut & clean eel. Eel restaurants SCREW eel onto the cutting boad. That's true. At Sushi restaurant, they don't screw fishes. Sushi cheff need to prepare pieces of fishes beforehand. low, boiled, baked, seasoned, there're varieties of preparation. Few Japanese restaurants handle live & fresh fishes and cut live fish on the cutting board. There are some tiny fishes which we eat alive. I haven't tried, though."
I think by law in Canada (not sure about Japan), any fish used in sashimi has to be frozen first for heath reasons.

archman:
Did you really know a guy that kept a live lobster in the refrigerator for over a month? Dang!

Blue Claw crabs common in Maryland Eastern shore.. Once they warm up they are quite alive and fiesty.

annasea:

swankenstein:
I think by law in Canada (not sure about Japan), any fish used in sashimi has to be frozen first for heath reasons.

My friend is Japanese and lives in Japan, not Canada.

There is some debate as to whether fish feel pain or not.

Some Thai people cook fish alive, along with skinning other types of animals alive. The reason being that they believe it is wrong to kill the animals directly.

archman:
They're not just put on ice unixsage, they're put on ice in AIR. They die by suffocation. Once their branchial chambers dry out, their gills stop working. 'Course, suffocation in many species (including Homarus americanus) can take a bloody long time.:wink:

Did you really know a guy that kept a live lobster in the refrigerator for over a month? Dang!
so how would you freeze the shellfish in to hibernation... but them in water then into the freezer?

They're bugs.

I love the environment, and wanna support our fisheries, but I'm not worried about how they're treated once they're caught, if caught responsibly.

Has anyone ever been on a boat with an ice chest? Shoot, I've seen barracuda on ice in a chest eat other fish in that chest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom