Italy, restaurant fined

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait until the lobster finds out the option.

dropping them in that boiling water was always more karma than I could handle. Wow, Italy...I would not think they would be like that. Sounds more like Brentwood or Santa Monica.

Although I find a ban on goldfish bowls rather extreme, deliberately putting live lobsters out on ice to watch them slowly die is just tacky.

Of course, this is precisely how millions of tons of commercially fished shellfish die every year. Pull 'em out of nets or traps, and chuck 'em in the freezer!

Bravissimo! I like the ways the Italians think. Again, I have a personal bias for Homarus. I kept one that I found languishing on a bed of ice in an Asian market. After three years he grew into a healthy enough specimen and wound up in the collection of the New England Aquarium. These guys are more interesting than you can imagine. X

I dont know about lobsters but cold does not typically kill shell fish it makes them hibernate. Standard practice after a day of crabbing (too late to cook that night) to put the crabs in the crisper in the fridge. They are quite alive when you pulled them out. Have a friend that did it for over a month with no issues. Perhaps the fresh water could kill them though. Never put them in a freezer though just the fridge.

Fresh water will kill lobsters, I saw someone learn this the hard way.

Even if the lobsters are alive and hibernating on a bed of ice, I have to think they'd be better off in the usual tank of saltwater.

Their better off still being boild, or baked stuffed, dipped in butter, and on MY plate!

maybe in the faraway future, they'll grow into a super race, and have their revenge. But for now, their part of the food chain. Lets eat!

UnixSage:
I dont know about lobsters but cold does not typically kill shell fish it makes them hibernate. Standard practice after a day of crabbing (too late to cook that night) to put the crabs in the crisper in the fridge. They are quite alive when you pulled them out. Have a friend that did it for over a month with no issues. Perhaps the fresh water could kill them though. Never put them in a freezer though just the fridge.

They're not just put on ice unixsage, they're put on ice in AIR. They die by suffocation. Once their branchial chambers dry out, their gills stop working. 'Course, suffocation in many species (including Homarus americanus) can take a bloody long time.:wink:

Did you really know a guy that kept a live lobster in the refrigerator for over a month? Dang!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom