It was the best of buys, it was the worst of buys . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best Buy: Getting rid of my 10y.o Oceanic Omega for $400 after spending $350 on its last service, then getting a Aqualung Legend instead.

Worst Buy: Buying that Aqualung legend, because now whenever I find myself in a position to use someone else's reg, it's never as good!

Another Best Buy: CLX450 drysuit. After over a decade of diving 7+7 wet, I don't know why I didn't go dry sooner.

Another Worst Buy: Getting a Sony DSC-P10 w/ housing on impulse after drowning my DSC-P5 by not checking the o-ring. I should have spent more time researching and gone straight to the DSLR rig I now have.

My best buy was an Oceanic Delta3/DX4 with VersaPro console bought on ebay for $80 and a $50 rebuild for it.

My worst buy is all the masks I have bought trying to find one that does not leak, don't give me a headache, and that I can see through. I won't tell you how many I've bought trying to find one. I still keep falling back to my first mask ever that has terrible periphial vision.

Best Buy Apeks ATX 50 with an Egress Octo with warranty for Liesurepro price. An Aeris Atmos 2 console for better than Leisurepro from Larry before they where discontinues and were being closed out for more.

Worst Buy an AL 80

good buys:
$300 Quickie "weekend, mediocre, forgot most of it the same week" OW course.
But the short time commitment brought me underwater ( and my daughter with me). AOW, Rescue, and a hundred plus hours weightless would never have happened without first getting me diving! Forever thankfull for that!

$36 Scuba Pro solid plastic (box) backpack ebay; included 3 vintage masks, some small items, vintage dive mags, and like new *** SP jets ***.:D my size

$165 OW lessons (from a good local shop) bought on a radio auction.
The shop owner told me about the unsold class when I was in the shop buying minor stuff! Did I mention I like that shop?

$500 initial ($1800 final cost) 20 foot Pontoon with 55hp motor. I replaced the floor and console, fixed the motor (fuse), and added a 350lb capacity ladder.

My wife didn't realize it was a dive boat untill she saw the tank rack:crafty:priceless
PS: Great thread, reminds us to be thankful. I'll check it when I get back from Coz

My Best Buy has been my p-valve- it provides great comfort while diving and gives me the confidence to hydrate with abandon!

I don't have anything that I would consider a Worst Buy, although I do regret NOT buying two AL40s when I bought one last year. Why buy one, when you can buy two for twice the price? :D

Best buy: My Zeagle regs and Aeris AI computer for an outstanding price from ScubaToys. Still love them 3 years later.

Worst buy: My SeaQuest Diva BC from ebay...hated it and sold it less than a year later after 20 dives for what I bought it for. Only bought it originally because "everyone" has a Diva, and it was the "best" BC out there. Uh, NOT (for me at least)!

Best buy . . . my "gas passer" course (Gas Blender). The complete course cost $175. With annual vis and O2 cleaning requirements for 10 tanks at about $40/tank, it was a no-brainer. Made my tank tumbler from stuff I had lying around.

Worst buy. . . some Tusa "Platina" fins. Ended up hating them.

And the . . .
Worst of the worst. . . my open water certification!!! Dear God, look at all the money I've spent!!!!

the K

:lol: OW ... Boy, do you have that right ... $ 4,646.45 Total so far ( my gear & training ) :)

Good deals ... (besides joining ScubaBoard)
most all my gear, purchased at my LDS ...

$255 Oceanic VEO 200 comp and console
$269 SP Mk18/G250HP
$280 Worthington HP 100

And From reading here at Scubaboard, I think that I got the long deal on my traning ...

_____________________________-Course + Materials + Cert
PADI Open Water ....................... $85.00 + $34.00 + $25.95
Advanced Open Water .............. $150.00 + $24.95 + $25.95
National Geographic Diver ............. $25.00 + $65.00 + $25.95
Eme. First Response + DAN O2....... $65.00 + $32.90 + $32.95
Rescue Diver..............................$100.00 + $29.95 + $25.95
Nitrox.........................................$99.00 + $45.95 + $25.95
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ $ 916.60
(yes, I know .. too many certs, not enough dives ;-)

Worst ..
My Al80
and paying full pop on my SP Knighthawk $575 ... I think I want a BP&W

WORST BUY (hands down): My ex-wife. Has cost me a fortune and I still haven't finished paying it off. Worst liability I've ever seen. Anyone want to take over payments?

BEST BUYS: Membership in this board, which has already put me lightyears ahead of having to learn everything by experience alone.
My Zeagle Ranger BC. I just happened to walk into a LDS and mentioned I was going to buy one from Scubatoys. The salesman tried to meet or beat the price...made a calculator error and got it for $100 below Scubatoys. The LDS owner was not so happy but honored the deal when she found out what her salesman had done. Sorry about that Joe & Larry. I made it up to Scubatoys by buying damned near everything else I own from them.

BEST BUYS: Scuba Board cause I aint paid em anything yet. The 3 trips I 'won' on the DAN auction - trip back to Bay Island Beach Resort in Roatan for around 600 bucks and another Blackbeard cruise for around 500 bucks and a 5 day Cozumel trip for $137.00. I just bought some Jets off of e-bay for $33, waiting to see if that is a best buy. Got a great mask from Salvo for 30 bucks and I love it. Got a keen little knife from Salvo for $25 and I love it too. And Blackbeard liveaboards, accommodations suck, but you cant beat the diving at their normal $900 rate for the week.
WORST BUYS: I paid this guy of Mundelein Illinois $410 for a SmartCom, he got the $410 and I got nothing. He used to use the name ScubaIteach. And I have a whole closet full of dive gear that I either will never use or will never again use. Now I have to figure out how to sell stuff on e-bay.
Most befundlements: In less than 9 months I have spent around $10,000 on dive gear and that doesnt count the trips. I pay more to dive than I do for my house payments. And I am not close to Jacque Cousteau in skill, yet.

Back
Top Bottom