It was a dark and gloomy dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
Well today it was raining, dark, water temp 54 degrees and about 8ft of vis. But it has to be better then diving in a quarry.

Playing with new 60mm macro lens. Due to it being so dark I could barely see subjects thru the viewfinder, diffidently need a modeling light. Anybody using one? Dumb question, do you use it to focus then shut off or use it in conjunction with strobes? I have a D100 in Aquatica housing w/2xYS90DX strobes.

I agree!

If you have a small 4AA size light, if you line the reflector cup with crinkled alum. foil, it will get rid of the spotlight effect and you can leave it on while you take your photos.

oh very nice... i love the anemone

mjh:
Well today it was raining, dark, water temp 54 degrees and about 8ft of vis. But it has to be better then diving in a quarry.

Playing with new 60mm macro lens. Due to it being so dark I could barely see subjects thru the viewfinder, diffidently need a modeling light. Anybody using one? Dumb question, do you use it to focus then shut off or use it in conjunction with strobes? I have a D100 in Aquatica housing w/2xYS90DX strobes.

I have been shooting close up macro using a 50 watt Sartek HID light and no flash. It works great and you can angle the light for different affects. The light is on all the time making seeing through the viewfinder easier at night. They burn at 5400 K so they produce a nice white light

I head the 24 watt HID's also work well.

I also shot a D100 with an aquatica. I like wide angle best because of the wreck and cave shoots I do. I just got the Nikon DX 10.5 mm wide angle. AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diffidently need a modeling light. Anybody using one? Dumb question, do you use it to focus then shut off or use it in conjunction with strobes? I have a D100 in Aquatica housing w/2xYS90DX strobes.[/QUOTE]

I use an Ikelite Mini-c which is mounted to my tray. I use it for focusing (N90s film camera) and keep it on while the shot is made. The only time I turn it off is to conserve batteries between subjects. -Clay

Dee:
I agree!

If you have a small 4AA size light, if you line the reflector cup with crinkled alum. foil, it will get rid of the spotlight effect and you can leave it on while you take your photos.

Great tip, Dee.

Thanks!

Andrew

Thanks all. The set-up came with a V shaped tray with velcro which I assume is to hold the flashlight in. I will look around for a flashlight, any other light suggestions?

Curt, just checked out Sartek looks like great stuff but WOW on the price. Most of my diving is open water or simple wreck, think I am looking for something a little less pricy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom